EMG PJ-X pickups. Any opinion?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crg2, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Crg2

Crg2

I find a lot of talk about them on here, but rarely a clear, decisive opinion.

Are they an improvement over traditional EMG's?

Are they good for harder rock?

Ceramic or Alnico?

Thanks.

2. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    the PJX's are ceramics, as of yet they do not have a PJAX set, but you can get a PAX and an JAX (bridge) and make your own Alnico set.

I do like them better than traditional EMGs. To me they sound a little more open and JimmyM says that they have more upper end content than the traditional EMGs. (I believe he did a side by side comparison of the PJ and PJX, I have not had a chance to do the same, but I have used EMG Ps for 20 years)

I have a fretless P with a PAX and a PJ with the PJX set.

3. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

Gutted my used '97 Ibanez Soundgear SR400 and put them in (details in my sig).
    My $220 bass sounds and plays like I payed top dollar. :hyper:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The standard EMG P and J pickups also use ceramic magnets. The JA and PA use alnico.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crg2

Crg2

I already got the skinny on all of that from EMG, but thank you.

I still want to know how both sound.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, that's it. I got a set of both PJ's and PJX's at the same time and that's exactly right...the PJX's sound about the same except they're way brighter. I ended up keeping the PJ's because I don't care for all that treble, but they're both really good pickups...just the X's are brighter.

8. crguti

crguti

^ you tried them in the same bass, right?

9. iandmcelroy

iandmcelroy

Hey man,

I've had all three in the same bass.

The PJ set was great, but I had to swap it out because the bridge pickup just stopped working out of nowhere. There was no warranty so I went with the PJX set.

The PJX set is great, but it is very "clanky" -- you'll hear every little click and scrape on every string. I don't think that's a bad thing, but you'd better be prepared for it. The real downside is that the J pickup is so muck weaker then the P. IMO that's the fault in these pickups.

Now, if you real closely in the catalogue, there is a PJAX set. I bought these and they were the best sounding pickups I have ever used, but they buzzed and hummed at every light, and sound, source they came near. The PJX set did not hum at all with the exact same install so I put them back in.

After hearing the PJAX set I'm now on the hunt for something passive that sounds the same.

10. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    I've looked pretty extensively through the EMG catalogue, and haven't been able to find a PJAX set, which is exactly what I'm looking for...care to help me out?

11. Greevus

Greevus

Just swapped a buzzing EMG P with a brand new solderless PX right before a gig. the X is freaking loud, but I agree it was a bit brighter. I definitely need to crank it down a little and see what I can get out of it, but first impression was that the original P is a bit more thick. X sounds like it's headed towards the passive tone just a little. mine is very loud and clear. i think i may have been hitting it with the strings at times live.

12. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

I've used the PJ's a while ago and have the PJX in my Aerodyne. The one issue I have with these sets is the lack of an active blend control and use with the active tone control will give you some insertion loss when both pickups are maxed. That said, I really dig the tone and am using some GHS Pressurewound strings. I love the bright distinctive "PJ" tone I get and prefer the X series to all of the non-X series.

The P pickup should be placed farther away from the strings than the J pickup(I've had to do this with all PJ sets though), however I find both are great when solo'd and blend really well together. My preferred setting is to just back off the P pickup a teeny bit.

13. iandmcelroy

iandmcelroy

Sorry, I didn't see this until now. I've been having some heart issues, was away for a few months, and just saw this today.

http://www.emgpickups.com/pdfs/EMG_Catalog.pdf

On page 8 of 13, first paragraph in the X-Series for Bass section, ninth line down. That is where the PJAX Set is listed.

They were considered a "special" order when I got mine.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never saw this before now...yes, a 95 P Lyte.