1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG PJX install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bredian, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bredian

Bredian Supporting Member

Got em, put them into my ... Epiphone EBM along with the EMG supplied VVT set up.

First mistake was... dudum... the top connector on the tone pot must be reversed (small print - now big print and circled on new instructions online).

Now the controls work as expected.

Will need to get a special end pin jack as the EBM won't work with the supplied jack and I don't feel like soldering....so far.

Will I need a pre amp ?? Going to go ahead and gig it once vs my other basses (another EBM, an active Fender) for a baseline.

Have a spare hole so far, unless I switch to a pre amp or add a control.

Your comments are welcome. Photos to follow

2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Ive had a few basses with EMGs and no pre. I like it. I did just order a BQS for one of my Jackson though.

3. Bredian

compared it today vs my original EBM and active Fender, sounded much improved.... rehearsal tonight through the guitarist's spare Marshall MB30 made that little combo sound better than ever... I think I'll keep them.... Excellent EA strings, pretty good on the D&G in the middle frets, but a little weak on the highs using the P pup. The Jazz pup is mediocre so far.... will adjust height....but I definitely have a gigging bass here now...

photo 2.JPG

In progress, just set up, action lowered, new light gauge Neon Tangerine string set, new EMG PJx set in ivory to keep with the retro look.

They use 3 knobs, so the 4th is just sitting there for the photo. I'll find a stud or dead pot to hold it.

I was considering the BTS or BQC control systems but so far... undecided.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bredian

Just installed the EMG preamp with the 4 knobs worth of controls, sounds much better. Great rehearsal sound, quick 30 minute gig next week... Will report back.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Would have suggested a pre had I seen this when originally posted. Not necessary but sure does give you more tonal possibilities. Which one did you get? I have BQC's in my active EMG basses but the BTS is also cool and fits in more bass cavities.

8. Bredian

I did remember you preferred the BQC, but mostly I run these at "flat" or all out, so mostly I'm just looking for a clear pre with power that plays nicely with the pups.... I've never had a problem with mids.... so I saved a teeny bit of budget for the next project. This is the BTS System...($89) I did find the stock controls sent with the pups were inadequate for some reason.

I also run my amp controls near flat, allowing me to crank up the volume without boom (learned that here).... nothing cuts through better than clear volume!

Sounds like piano strings!

BTW, Jimmy, check out the above photo... I used the ivory color. Trying to reinstall the gold speed knobs for the funky vintage look.... currently have the EMG supplied black knobs on... very cool.

And yes I had a space limit.... But will be able to fit 2 x9v batteries in the battery compartment. Next.

Also have a second EBM as well as a Fender Precision Lyte, all PJs.... all will be different.

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    That ivory looks badass with the blue!

10. Bredian

Gig report.... the "P" in the set sounded awesome in the mix, the "J" was a little weak in output, so I will look at adjustments.... surprising as the PJs on my active fender are very similar in output...raised the pup for tonight.