1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG PJX install

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bredian, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Got em, put them into my ... Epiphone EBM along with the EMG supplied VVT set up.

First mistake was... dudum... the top connector on the tone pot must be reversed (small print - now big print and circled on new instructions online).

Now the controls work as expected.

Will need to get a special end pin jack as the EBM won't work with the supplied jack and I don't feel like soldering....so far.

Will I need a pre amp ?? Going to go ahead and gig it once vs my other basses (another EBM, an active Fender) for a baseline.

Have a spare hole so far, unless I switch to a pre amp or add a control.

Your comments are welcome. Photos to follow
  2. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Ive had a few basses with EMGs and no pre. I like it. I did just order a BQS for one of my Jackson though.
  3. Bredian

Bredian

compared it today vs my original EBM and active Fender, sounded much improved.... rehearsal tonight through the guitarist's spare Marshall MB30 made that little combo sound better than ever... I think I'll keep them.... Excellent EA strings, pretty good on the D&G in the middle frets, but a little weak on the highs using the P pup. The Jazz pup is mediocre so far.... will adjust height....but I definitely have a gigging bass here now...

photo 2.JPG

In progress, just set up, action lowered, new light gauge Neon Tangerine string set, new EMG PJx set in ivory to keep with the retro look.

They use 3 knobs, so the 4th is just sitting there for the photo. I'll find a stud or dead pot to hold it.

I was considering the BTS or BQC control systems but so far... undecided.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nice color combo!