EMG pups with different pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chubfarm2001, Jan 8, 2014.

1. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

From what I can tell, emg pre's can only be used with emg pups, but can you use a different pre, like an Audere or Aguilar, with emg pickups?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

EMG pre's come in two forms, a set made for use with any passive or active pickups, and a set that'll work with EMG's . And you can use EMG's with other preamps as well. They might need to be configured differently to work with the EMG pickups however, due to differences in impedance. Audere and Aguilar both have configurations that'll work with EMG's and I've used Aguilars with EMG pickups as well, and it's a good combination.

3. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the Audere myself, but I am not set in stone yet.

4. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

If you order the Audere from his website there's an option for active pickups, also if you go with a prewired harness from BestBassGear for the Aguilar they have an EMG option too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

I think Audere used to pre-configure some of their preamps for EMG and other active pickups, on request. I think they included a small capacitor in parallel with the pickup, to account for any DC bias offsets. This was only for the Audere "classic" series, not the Z-mode series (which didn't support active pickups at all).

Most other pre-amps should work with EMG pickups as well.