1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

emg question re: voltage minimum

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yodedude2, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

hey y'all, i want to install 2 emg active jazz pickups and an emg preamp with bass and treble eq controls.

is it possible to run both pickups and the preamp with a single 9-volt battery?

is it advisable?

thanks!
  2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Yes, that's how it's done for the most part. You'll hardly see powered components on different power supplies in a bass guitar.
  3. yodedude2

thanks for the quick response. i'm contemplating a transplant from an 18-volt-equipped donor bass but the recipient bass patient has very little room for one battery, much less two...
  4. line6man

line6man

EMG's stuff is designed to run at 9V, with 18V being an option for more headroom.
  5. yodedude2

bumping this to ask another emg question:

with a fully active emg system, is there any need or advantage to grounding the pots to the bridge?
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

No, it's not recommended to ground them. The ground on the jack uses the amps ground to ground everything when plugged in. It's also the on / off switch for the electronics.
  7. Troph

Troph Supporting Member

Their own instructions state that you'll be fine at 9V, unless your pickups are "high output" and you play "aggressively", in which case you might experience clipping and should move to 18V. Not very helpful, is it? :)
  8. yodedude2

quite helpful, actually! i'm moving the restification in a differnet direction. i picked up an 80s set of emg pickups with controls and will use that in the 80s heritage bass i am working on. thanks y'all!