1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Emg

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jgrabs07, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jgrabs07

Jgrabs07

Has anyone out there changed out the stock pups on a ibanez gio id like to put some emg on it cause its my first bass and cant seem to let go of it, got a new pbass for xmass, would like to get close to pbass sound out of it for a backup, :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not too familiar with the Gio but EMG's rule. They're the only active bass pickups I like. They are cleaner sounding than the P pickups, but with EMG's and a BQC preamp, your Gio will sound noticeably better IMHO, and you can dial in an EQ that comes close to the sound of your Precision. I dig the straight-up PJ's but they have 3 or 4 different models for P and J pickups. Now whether you want to install pickups that cost as much as your entire bass or not is a different story. But if you ever decide to pass the Gio along, you could reinstall the old pickups and take out the EMG's and use them in another bass. Can't say for sure that you'll like them, but I'm pretty big on them. Don't want them in every bass I own, but I've got them in 3 and I'm quite happy.

3. Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

I have a EMG X set of PJ on a Squier P bass special which is very close to the Affinity serie and it sounds really nice, without the 60 cycles hum. Big improvement. If you really want to keep your Ibanez I'd say go for it.

4. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Hey Jimmy. EMG is the *only* active pickup manufacturer that I know of. You know of any others that are mass produced? Thanks in advance.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

Duncan makes the APB-1, and also does an active soap bar. That's it other than EMG, as far as I know.

7. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

There's also Bartolini, at least. I keep forgetting others.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whatever...you guys know what I meant!

:p