1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

EMG45s on a 4 String Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BluesMan84, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Hi All,

Bit of a strange question. I am upgrading a TRB1004J however I've realised that the pickups on the 4 are different from the their TRB1005 which have several upgrade options by Bartolini and EMG.

The 1004J pickups are 4.5 inch x 1.5 inch.

The only pickup that meets those dimensions is the EMG45, but are designed for a 6 string. I read that as they don't use the traditional pole design that it could be used and not affect the sound.

Is this correct? Will it work correctly? Or should I just order Custom Pickups?

Thanks!

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    If the screws line up, should work fine. Just watch out on the P models, but if you get the J, CS, DC, or TW you'll be gold. I personally love the TWX the most and the CSX are really good as well.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Thanks.

It seems that any blade/rail design will work.

Just wanted to get a second opinion.

5. I run EMG 45JX and 45DCX on my two Yamaha 5 strings - due to the rails in these pickups there are no issues, and I suspect the same would be the case on a 4 string.

J

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Roswell, GA
    Yup, only have to watch out for the P as you do not want the string to fall between the split coil's sensing areas.

7. Good point Tyler, though he MIGHT be OK with a 45P as the two halves are equally sized (unlike the 40P) and I don't think there is a gap of coverage/any small gap would likely fall BETWEEN the A and D.

J

Attached Files:

8. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    You should be good with that. I run 4 string EMG J pick ups (no pole pieces) in a Fender MB-5 due to the original pick up size and string spacing, and they work great! It seems Fender used 4 string sized J pick ups in that bass for some reason.

9. Thanks for the input. Have purchased 2 EMG 45 DCX, EMG said they will be fine.