EMG45s on a 4 String Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BluesMan84, Apr 13, 2014.

1. BluesMan84

BluesMan84

Hi All,

Bit of a strange question. I am upgrading a TRB1004J however I've realised that the pickups on the 4 are different from the their TRB1005 which have several upgrade options by Bartolini and EMG.

The 1004J pickups are 4.5 inch x 1.5 inch.

The only pickup that meets those dimensions is the EMG45, but are designed for a 6 string. I read that as they don't use the traditional pole design that it could be used and not affect the sound.

Is this correct? Will it work correctly? Or should I just order Custom Pickups?

Thanks!
  2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

If the screws line up, should work fine. Just watch out on the P models, but if you get the J, CS, DC, or TW you'll be gold. I personally love the TWX the most and the CSX are really good as well.
  3. BluesMan84

BluesMan84

Thanks.

It seems that any blade/rail design will work.

Just wanted to get a second opinion.
  4. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

I run EMG 45JX and 45DCX on my two Yamaha 5 strings - due to the rails in these pickups there are no issues, and I suspect the same would be the case on a 4 string.

J
  5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Yup, only have to watch out for the P as you do not want the string to fall between the split coil's sensing areas.
  6. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Good point Tyler, though he MIGHT be OK with a 45P as the two halves are equally sized (unlike the 40P) and I don't think there is a gap of coverage/any small gap would likely fall BETWEEN the A and D.

J

Attached Files:

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

You should be good with that. I run 4 string EMG J pick ups (no pole pieces) in a Fender MB-5 due to the original pick up size and string spacing, and they work great! It seems Fender used 4 string sized J pick ups in that bass for some reason.
  8. BluesMan84

BluesMan84

Thanks for the input. Have purchased 2 EMG 45 DCX, EMG said they will be fine.