1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG's closest to a MM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Veldar, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Veldar

Veldar

Hello guys and gals,

I'm saving up for new pickups since my stock Mec's aren't doing anything for me on my cleans/slap tone. Now I use a 6 string Chinese Warwick streamer and all my favorite players in rock use(d) a music man and then a jazz and all my favorite metal players are rocking EMGs, so I thought why not get the best of both?

The problem is EMG doesn't have a exact MM pickup for 6 string and, I really like the EMG 45 J sound in the neck and would love having a MM sounding pickup in the bridge.

I'm also getting this preamp with them and I'll be getting the 18 volt mod for extra headroom.

Cheers for any help, Sam.
  2. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Hey Sam,

didn't know they make a 6 string version of that bass.

The thing about the MM pickups from EMG is that they are essentially the same as the CS and the TW pickups but in a MM case. I would highly recommend the 45TW pickup since you can switch to single coil mode and get a lot of variety in your tone.

However, I know that those MECs have really weird dimensions. So measure them first and then go to the EMG website and compare the sizes. It could be that a little modification might be needed to fit those in.
  3. Veldar

Veldar

It's a pretty sick bass, I'm so used to it I can't play anything with a different neck. :D

If that's the case I'll properly be getting a CS then since I'm a set it forget it kind of player when it comes to my bass pre/pickups.
  4. Danhight88

Danhight88

I bought an EMG MMCS for my Warmoth fretless and it's amazing.
  5. StringslamDan

StringslamDan

I thought emg originally made the DC to sound like a musicman pickup.
  6. Bobster

Bobster

Here's a link to the EMG website. http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/mm-models.html

Basically the MMCS and MMTW are CS (ceramic and steel) pickups in a Musicman housing. So they sound similar to the 35TW and 35CS.

The main difference between the MMCS and MMTW is that the MMTW also has a stacked coil under the rear coil and it can sound similar to a humbucking Jazz pickup.

This is similar to the 35TW, but the MMTW's Two horizontal coils are spaced further apart than the 35TW because of the bigger case.

I have one bass which has an MMTW and another which has a TW and they sound very similar. Both have P series in the neck position and can do pretty reasonable MM, P, P/J, P/MM, and Jazz sounds.

But neither the MMTW or MMCS sound exactly like Musicman pickups. That said, I'm very happy with them.

If you decide to go with the EMGs, I'd recommend the MMTWs. This will give you the option to get a more single-coil sound out of either the bridge or neck, or both pickups.

All the best,

Bob