1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EMG's for Ibanez SR500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rokknbass, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Rokknbass

Rokknbass

I have an early 90's Ibanez SR500 that I want to change PUPs on.
    Was thinking about using EMG P/J setup.
    Is this an easy switch out of pickups? or do I need to replace preamp as well? If I dont wire the old preamp to the EMGS are they ok by themselves?
    Has anyone done this and were you happy with the result.
    Was also just thinking about buying a new Ibanez bass instead of spending money on the old one.
    Thanks,'
  2. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Did it with the emg p/j and the emg BT setup. I'm an emg guy and I hated them in that bass. They sound thin and scratchy in those. I would go bartolini's . Their warmer n fuller in that bass. Aggie pre maybe? Spector tonepump? I would do them both though (pups n pre). The old stock afr ibanez pups are actually pretty good and sound good recorded as well. Just my .02.