1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Eminence Alpha 15a vs Beta 15a

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by theAntihero, Apr 7, 2014.

1. theAntihero

theAntihero

Im gonna be using these primarily for B tuned and Baritone Guitar. I took a look at Emi's speaker plans and both have options for around 60-ish hz f3 ( which if i remember correctly is what im looking at for B Tuned guitar). Its gonna be a part of a massive amp wall so it doesnt necessarily have to be the pentaultimate stand alone cab and it will rarely, if ever, leave my band room so weight and size isnt a concern.

Itll be powered by a Peavey f-800b and it mind end up as a 4x15 for the Alphas to hit the power rating i need :bag:

So what do you guys think about these speakers?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

As with every speaker, it depends on the cab around them.

3. theAntihero

theAntihero

Forgot to mention, this would be used for doom sorts of tones

4. theAntihero

theAntihero

True, they will be designed off of Eminence's cab recommendations, im not just building a box and chucking in some speakers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arjank

Arjank

maybe you should check the "rigs-of-doom" thread :bassist: :D

7. theAntihero

theAntihero

8. Arjank

Arjank

It's not the fundamental of that Bariton B string that has the most energy, it's the 2nd harmonic so the cab doesn't need to go that deep. Aim for a tuning somewhere between 90 and 100hz, but I think a closed cab with an Fb of approx 90hz would sound smoother and more warm.

If I had to choose between those two it would be the Beta 15a, it has the better cards in the mids and is IMO better suited for your Baritone guitar. But, for your application I would gravitate towards a 12" driver though(Alpha 12a???).

9. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

When you talk about B tuned guitar, what do you mean?

Baritone guitar tuning is often B E A D F# B, with the low note an octave up from the bottom string of a regular 5-strig bass?

Or do you mean a bass guitar tuned down to B E A D?

A pair of Alpha's should be plenty for baritone. Power handling should be no problem as long as they're in a properly designed box, as the Peavey head was rated at less than 300w into 4 ohms, and the latest Alpha 15A's can handle 300w RMS each.

However, if we're talking a down-tuned bass, then 400 watts isn't that much power by today's standards, especially if you need to play over a couple of cranked guitar stacks and a heavy-handed drummer.

In that case, you might want four 15's. Partly to get the head running maximum power (about 450w) into a 2 ohm load, and partly to move more air.

So what do you want for a Doom tone?

The Alpha's are less efficient than the Betas, not quite as tight and punchy down low, and less than $10 cheaper per driver. The Betas are smoother and brighter, as well.

On the other hand, the Alpha breaks up sooner when pushed, so if you want to a looser, darker, dirtier tone, they might be preferable.

10. theAntihero

theAntihero

Its just downtuned guitar or BEADF#B, so its above standard tuned bass.

Actually tuned to 60hz the Alphas can only hold 100w a piece so 4 wired series/parallel would be an 8 ohm 400w cab. Or i could run it as a 2 ohm cab and hope that the f-800 doesnt produce over 400w continuously.

Tone wise i want more of a loose boomier sort of tone rather than punchy so the Alphas sound better for that sort of tone.

With the Parts Express sale the Alphas are like 55 bucks a piece, which is pretty good for any speaker let alone a 15 incher.

11. theAntihero

theAntihero

Im waffling between a closed back cab and a ported tuned lower. The thing that worries me is im using a lot of fuzz with a lot, for a baritone, lowend going on. Coupled with a bass head that is eq-ed for bass....im worried that if i tune it around 90hz itll fart out and......explode:bawl:

I was planning on a 4x12 loaded with Delta 12lf's but with this sale im leaning towards some 15 inchers.

12. Arjank

Arjank

If you really add a lot of low-end then it may indeed be better to tune the cab somewhere around the fundamental of the low B of your Baritone guitar.
    But that won't stop the speakers from exploding when you hit that B(rown) note, just kidding :D

13. theAntihero

theAntihero

Lol, true:eek: