Eminence Alpha 8a's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by spego, Feb 13, 2014.

1. spego

spego Supporting Member

Anyone ever put Alpha 8a's in a SWR 8x8 Henry before?

From my calculations I can put those speakers in wired in series and parallel and come out with a 4 ohm load. Roughly 1000w RMS (no horn of course) all said and done. Having a tough time finding the celestion replacements and considering this route and selling the good celestions to others that may want/need them (I have one "repaired" one). I don't like using a cab that I can't get a drop in replacement for anyway and would feel safer with a readily available speaker.

So anyone ever used them for a 8x8? I did contact Fender....they have no stock replacements and said they thought my option/math would work fine.

2. rogypop

rogypop

Displacement number of all eight alpha 8's combined would be as good as one nice 15. It's fine if you don't want to get a lot of lo lows out of it.

3. M0ses

M0ses

If you know the dimensions of the cab, it'll be easy to model in WinISD to get a pretty good idea of what the cab will be like.

Hell, provide me the dimensions and I'll tell you about it.

4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    On the phone here, but it'd be worth the while to model Beta's in the same cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spego

spego Supporting Member

This is what I have:

Dimensions:
    Height: 36.5"
    Width: 23.25"
    Depth: 18.5"

7. M0ses

M0ses

Aw crap, I didn't realize it was ported. Makes it a bit more difficult.

8. spego

spego Supporting Member

yeah sorry.....id have to take the grill off and measure the port and depth of that too I suppose. If I get time tomorrow I can do that as well.

9. M0ses

M0ses

Can you give the port diameter and depths?

I guessed at roughly 4x2, and at an estimated 13,000 cubic inches, it looks pretty good though the excursion is a little bit scary so I'd recommend an HPF.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. spego

spego Supporting Member

Sorry I didn't mean to jump over your response either rogypop. Thanks and I do realize this. I have other cabs.....ampeg 810, mesas....10's 12's 15's etc. This 8x8 is a killer small/med venue cab IMO.....it opens up quickly and doesn't kill the FOH with sub lows. For small venues this is critical for the bands sound overall. For those out there that have played through one they know what I mean. Tight mids and tons of articulation but not lacking all low end.....still has it.....but its not 15's low.

Plus its the most "beat up" cab I own (actually in nice shape though) and its pretty easy to move around. I suspect it will be gigged a lot in the future.

Anyway no I'm not concerned with sub lows......nice tight low mid range and "some" low end is sufficient......much like I'd describe it now being stock. If I need a lot of sub lows I'll be dragging the 15's or some variation out.

11. spego

spego Supporting Member

Just measured them quickly.......I was able to without taking anything off.

3 ports (all same size)

5" wide
    7" deep

12. M0ses

M0ses

The curve actually looks almost identical with those ports. Little more excursion possible.

13. spego

spego Supporting Member

OK thanks for running those numbers.

14. spego

spego Supporting Member

Hey M0ses how does the BETA 8 look with the same calculations?

15. spego

spego Supporting Member

I did speak to a rep at eminence today and they said none of their 8" drivers will work in that cab. Not enough excursion he said.

Hmm not sure where else to look anymore....might be a lost cause. Ill have to watch for a used replacements around i suppose.

16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

I guess I can be a little patriotic every once in a decade, and bring up the Faital 8FE200. They've been discussed here a number of times. I seem to recall people saying they're a little better suited for a sealed cab, but they've got decent excursion and are cheap.
    Anyway just a heads-up, I hope somebody knowledgeable chimes in, I'm just a beige belt in cab modelling 'n stuff.

17. spego

spego Supporting Member

Thank you sir! I'll look into those for sure.

18. Arjank

Arjank

I once build a 4x8 with the Alpha 8a 's, they have great mids and the tone was very nice but their powerhandling is very limited. I also modified them by removing the dustcap and installing an aluminium phaseplug, this improved cooling of the voice-coil (I blew one driver before that) and it even improved the frequency response from 3khz and up.

Limited excursion is another problem, for a 4-string this cab was capable of holding it's own a medium-volume pop/funk gig with approx 200 people but I also had to use a sub-sonic filter to cut anything below say 40hz.
    If I had to make a new 4x8 I would use the Oberton 8MB200, one of these will be able to shove as much air as three Alpha 8a 's. Only thing is they aren't available in the US. A good substitute would be the Beyma 8G40. Put 8 of these in your Henry 8x8 and it will push even more air then a "fridge".
    Edit:"be aware that your cabinet will weight a bit more after installing 8 Beyma 8G40's.....

19. spego

spego Supporting Member

Good info there! Thank you I'll have to look into these.

20. Arjank

Arjank

21. spego

spego Supporting Member

Wow they are cheaper! Yeah I may have to seriously look into these.

What does "Bumped back plate for unrestricted excursion" mean do you know? I never heard of that before.