Eminence in Custom Sound cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jedson, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Jedson

Jedson

I saved this Custom Sound Trucker 15" bass cabinet from the skip/dumpster a while back.
    Not sure what wattage it was but the speaker is in poor condition now. the glued on grille has mostly detached & rattles badly.
    Anyway, I spoke to my local audio guy today & discovered he has a 450w Eminence Kappa speaker on his shelf.

My question is.. Would this cabinet be suitable for the 450w speaker.

I have an Ashdown AL-C210 combo which would stack perfectly onto the Custom Sound cab and would also benefit from the 15's low end..

Should I go for the Eminence?

Cheers :)

Attached Files:

2. Tuned

Tuned

It's not a matter of the power rating of the driver, it's more a matter of the cabinet geometry and venting. The Kappa will work, just a matter of how well the cabinet reinforces the lower range.
  3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Before you buy what he has on the shelf, and a 450 watt speaker sounds like a lot of speaker look on line and see what you can get.

Just because it's there does not mean it's the best speaker for you.
  4. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

The cab looks quite similar in size to an EV TL cabinet. I built one and often used a Kappa 15C in it and it performed very well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Which Kappa is it? Regular Kappa 15a? No way I'd use it. Only goes up to 2.3k for the highs. That's a speaker designed to be crossed over to a mid driver. Now the Kappa PRO 15a might be a different story. That one looks like it might be good for bass, although at $160, it's more than I'd want to spend on a speaker unless it was a neo. Personally, I'd throw a Beta 15a into it. Inexpensive, sounds great, handles some decent power (BTW, 450w is when the voice coil toasts out. The vast majority of 115 bass cabs handle 200-250w tops before they start farting out).
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I would tear the grill off and see if it stops rattling. Maybe it's good to go as is :bassist:
  8. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I had a Kappa Pro 15A bouncing around my cabs for a while. It needed a pretty big cab to get the full low end performance from it. In a medium sized cabinet it was clean and slotted itself well into the mix with a slight 120 Hz bump and rolled off sub lows. It wouldn't be my first choice but only cost $100.