1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Eminence Kappa 15C

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowend1, Dec 13, 2012.

1. lowend1

lowend1

Acoustic B115 sealed cab - Emi Kappa 15C as prospective replacement speaker. Old-school rock bass sound, tube and hybrid heads. Thoughts? Opinions?
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've been using one in either an EV TL ported cabinet, or in a re-purposed Peavey 115 (with a pair of 4 1/2" Bose speakers crossed over at 800Hz. It's been a great speaker. I've pushed it hard, and it holds up. I haven't used it in a sealed cabinet.

I have an MCM 500 watt 15" in a sealed cabinet. The cabinet is rather small, but the speaker is a beast. I have two such cabinets (copies of sealed, "rack mount" sized cabinets Peavey had out in the 80's.) The other has an EV 15B and has had Black Widows in it. The MCM smokes the EV, but highs are limited. I'd buy the MCM again. I use the speakers as subs in my rather small, but effective PA.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2983
  4. lowend1

lowend1

I had a funny feeling that would be the case. US Speaker's page on it didn't specify, so I figured I'd see what everybody thought. Do you think that the CA15-4 would be a better choice? The Acoustic is obviously not a high-end box, so I was trying to keep the cost of a replacement driver under $100.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
  6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Look at MCM's sales flyers available on their site. The prices are lower in them.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Thanks, will do that.

I keep forgetting about them, and then going back there from time to time.

I think it was either the driver I linked to, or the one you did, I had previously spec'd out as a good and affordable replacements for my PA cabs so I can pull my Widows out of there for some bass cabs I have in mind.

I chose the one in my link there just by quickly eyeballing a few key specs from the datasheet as well as it's response chart. It's a real plus that MCM includes real datasheets on their house branded stuff. Things like spl high enough for live sound. Qts high enough to get bass without needing a giant box. Excursion long enough to handle adding some lows if needed. EBP low enough for sealed box. And importantly, topend response enough for "one driver plays it all" bass guitar driver. And of course, the most important spec....price. less than $50.:D
  8. lowend1

lowend1

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Forget about watts, meaningless in the scheme of things. Look for xmax and sensitivity. No point in handling 300w if its limited to 50w before farting out, or takes 300w and is still quieter than headphones.
  10. lowend1

lowend1

OK, point taken. So it seems to me (the untrained observer), that the 500w MCM unit I linked to has specs similar to the 200w version you recommended. Based on that, I should be able to plop my '72 SVT, Crate BT350H or 450w Peavey Databass on top of the Acoustic and have all the bases covered, correct?
  11. punchclock

punchclock

I am also considering this speaker for a decent standalone 115 cab for those times when a smaller high powered rig are beneficial.
    I have an extra home built EV TL-606 (or maybe my Aguilar DB115) that I am considering putting a Eminence Kappa 15C in so I can get more watts from my Aguilar TH500 at 4ohm (and can use with another 8ohm 115 or 2 with my Aguilar DB750 - since those are safe down to 2ohms).
    TL vs. DB115 with a Kappa 15C?
    Any opinions are appreciated...
    Thanks.