1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Emperor cabinet? are they any good?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VoxAstroIV, Oct 11, 2013.

1. VoxAstroIV

VoxAstroIV

2. BabyGriz

BabyGriz

A friend of mine plays and loves them. they sounded bad ass, Granted he was running 3 amps/ 3 cabs (all emperor) at the time I heard them
  3. VoxAstroIV

VoxAstroIV

3 amp 3 cabs that s pretty bad ass.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

They are designed for looks not performance or sound. Pass.
  5. VoxAstroIV

VoxAstroIV

Really you are the first person I hear say that about emperor cabs
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

They may make a fine guitar cab, but bass is a different beast.
  7. ctufankjian

ctufankjian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I heard they were the best cabs for metal;)
  8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Guitar cabs being sold as bass cabs.
  9. chaosMK

chaosMK

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    From what I hear, the bass cabs arent great and I have no interest in them. Anyone making modern day bass cabs basically needs to have them highly engineered to be on par with what's out there.

Their guitar cabs have so much mojo. I own two of their OS 2x12s and also have a Mesa 2x12 V30 Recto cab (considered an excellent, if not one of the best designed guitar cabs around) that I have A/B'd them with as a point of reference. The Emperor with Legend V12's destroys the Recto cab. I was amazed. The Recto is a great cab, but it sounds overly tight, clinical, and 2D compared to the Emperor. I haven't done a "study" comparing my V30/G12K-loaded Emperor to the Recto cab, but it also sounds amazing. I can't say enough good things about these guitar cabs, 10/10.

Emperor is a custom shop. I bet you could just give them specs if you wanted their aesthetics matched with a proven design.
  10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Do a search and you'll find more info on Talkbass. Their cabs look great and have a definite aesthetic/vibe to them, but their bass cabinets just look like guitar cab designs with bass drivers stuffed in them. Obviously that won't appeal to the bass players who want an articulate tone, or those who want to hear true low bass sounds. But for guys looking for that 70's bass cab tone (bump in the mid bass region with a steep rolloff below that, muted highs etc) they would work. From that standpoint I can see why doom guys like them. But tonally they'll be pretty limited.
  11. insomniac2295

insomniac2295 Supporting Member

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks they sound like poop
  12. surfingbird1

surfingbird1

strange comments to me (not that they are wrong), I just ordered a 2x12" cab (which I get in 1 week) and it is the same dimensional specs with the same front port as the 2x12 avatar cabs. I understand the concept of cab design and having cabs tuned to speakers to some degree, but the emperor cab doesn't seem like a guitar cab with bass speakers in it to me.

I trust avatar dimensions, so I assume the emperor will be close in tonal quality, I could be wrong

I've heard them in person, and I prefer the emperor sound to markbass, new ampeg stuff, etc

the tone might be a tad subdued, but I think it is to the benefit of the instrument, but then again I dont know anything
  13. ThreeFingers

ThreeFingers

[​IMG]
    A band we played with had this back line. All together it sounded good, but the I couldn't really pick out the bass specifically.