1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Emporer 5 Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SRFSterling5, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

I'm thinking of moving to the Fodera from the Ken Smith 6 I have now. Bottom line is the "Smith" sound is growing old. I've looked at many videos on you tube and I've now got a major case of GAS. My main question is the tightness of the low B tone wise. Wish I could actually try one but high end retailers are nonexistent here in the 50th State. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361770254.423934.jpg
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

I love the B string on my Emperor 5 Standard. It is the best 34" B I have played. I haven't played a 35" Emperor 5er though....
  3. Strokey

Strokey Supporting Member

The B on my Fodera Emperor is pretty nice. It isn't the tightest B string I have played, but it is the most colorful. To me, that is the most important thing since it is so difficult to really hear the low B. People usually feel it more than they hear it.
  4. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

I'm into the sound of players like Anthony Jackson, Jimmy Johnson, Nathan East, Mike Porcaro, and Abe Laboriel. Looking at the specs of the Monarch 5 and hearing the sound clips of it, most of the clips don't feature clips playing on the B string. If its comparable to the B on my Smith that will work. What grabbed me about the Fodera is the tone is flexible for many genres and also the many rave reviews. Now just gotta get the Smith sold. GAS is in effect big time. Thanks for your responses.
  5. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

You should look into the Foderas with the "extended B" headstock. These are the ones with three tuners on top (3+2. as opposed to the more common 2+3). This is something that they came up with in conjunction with Mike Pope. The theory has something to do with how the relatively longer string path makes the string vibrate differently which effects the tone. This has been covered at length here on TB.
  6. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness... Supporting Member

My 34" Emperor Deluxe 5 has a nice, present, authoritative low B (.120 gauge) - notes stay clear and articulate up the neck.