Emulate rhythm guitar

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Justinisraelson, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Justinisraelson

Justinisraelson

I'm playing in a band with one guitar player and it sounds a little empty when he solos. It's a rock band and the recordings typically have rhythm guitar with distortion. Any suggestions?

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Bass with distortion?

3. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Listen to other bands that only have 1 guitar and 1 bass and listen to how the bass player does it there.

ZZ Top
    Rush
    King's X
    Cream
    Queen
    The Police
    Muse
    Nirvana
    Motorhead

etc...the list goes on

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Listen to some of the band recording and live perormances and you'll figure out they have backing tracks going on. It's been going on for decades.
    Guitar players also do a lot of looping. Bass players can do it too. Loop the baseline then add harmonies up higher.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lokikallas

Not any bands I've ever seen live. Pantera wouldn't even have a rhythm guitar track on the majority of their studio releases during solos.

7. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Try finding some isolated bass tracks for some of the above mentioned bands. Listen to their tone. Most have some grit or tube distortion going on. Also the guitarist need to have a fat sounding lead channel, not just boosting a thin, tinny sound louder.

8. M0ses

M0ses

The greatest, most destructive myth in music today is that "emptiness" is a negative thing.

9. morgansterne

morgansterne

have the guitar play quieter the rest of the time and crank it up during the solos.

seriously.

also the guitar player can incorporate some harmony notes that weren't there in the original solo. A couple go a long way.

10. masterFlash

masterFlash

Study John Paul Jones stuff. he was great at seizing that space when Page would solo.

With out knowing the particulars of any of your music this is a tough one to answer.

I prefer to take those opportunities to walk(or run depending on the tempo) the basslines.

So if you are just playing the roots while the guitarist is playing rhythm, then you could explode your bassline into running through the chords (use lots of chromatics).

That would also provide a more energetic bed for the solo to go over the top.

11. lokikallas

Excellent example. Live especially, they just make it work, where the album might have layers of guitars, they come up with great ways of filling the space.

12. Against Will

Against Will

Lou Barlow in Dinosaur, Jr. played chords up on the neck. They're a trio and I always thought they had a huge sound.

13. Justinisraelson

Justinisraelson

Thank you for the great replies. Besides, walking and being "busier" under the solos, is there a pedal or effect I could use, that anyone could recommend?

14. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Yeah I like the openness. I really enjoy playing in a 3 piece whenever the opportunity comes up

+900 ...this makes a huge difference

This doesn't seem to happen Brian Setzer/Stray cats

15. bass335

bass335

Fishman Fission Bass Powerchord comes to mind

16. Bigmuffdiver

Bigmuffdiver

What I do to make it sound heavyer is use my overdrive and keep in the low register, or overdrive and powerchords on my A-string. Talk to your drummer how to keep together and make it tight.

17. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Listen to Rush...

To me Geddy does a fantastic job being a perfect gap in between the drums and one guitar. Study how he does his phrasing, it's very melodic, harmonic, and rhythmic aall at the same time.

18. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

In theory. In practice, the Fission is pretty disappointing. Hopefully they'll come out with a second generation with better tone and better tracking.

Options are -
    1) embrace the open space.
    2) play busier
    3) use effects to lush up your sound.

I do all three at one point or another, and all are valid, depending on the song. It's a judgment call. As far as effects to do #3 go, something I use on a couple of songs is to kick on distortion (on an MXR M-80 in this case) and an octaver (Boss OC-3) and play higher on the neck. Makes for a very grungy, dirty tone that fills a lot of frequencies under a solo. Like I say - great for some songs, not for others, and don't overuse it.

I guess it's kind of "play busier," but one other thing I've been doing is on Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out," on the verses - between downbeats on the E (A string 7th fret) I'll hit the open E string and let it ring - kind of creates a low drone which covers our lack of a 2nd guitarist. Then play fifths where it goes A - B.