'End Of The Road For BassPlayer Magazine'

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Minds made up, and it started with a Thread from sometime last year by another TBer. But after this first issue for this year. I've cut the rope with this magazine. Seems like every year they just flip everybody that they've already covered from past issues. And to me no real needed reviews on any of the bass stuff that we really wanna know about. I get more info and reviews, even personal contact from TalkBass than the magazine. So no more bassplayer for me. Any other TBers feeling the same way.:meh:
  2. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

I'll still keep my subscription. Product reviews aren't really a major draw for me, anyway. It's relatively inexpensive, and anything Chris Jisi does is worth the price of subscription.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I agree it is kinda crappy but I pay $14.95 for a year's subscription on my iPad, so at $1-ish an issue, it is worthy bathroom reading.

The product reviews are almost always wishy washy and blatantly tied to advertising space as are the musician profiles. Billy Sheehan article? Boom! Full page EBS, Yamaha and Hartke ads.

For once, I would love for them to review a $4000 boutiquey bass and completely roast it. Likely ain't gonna happen.
  4. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

Never subbed to Bassplayer, but several years ago I stopped subscribing to any magazine. It's hard to compete with the internet.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

I get it for free, so I can't complain.
    When that runs out, I'll probably pay for another year.
    I like the music reviews.
  7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    I do Bass Player, the UK Bass Magazine, Guitar Player, Guitar Magazine, Premier Guitar, Rolling Stone.... All online and for $70-80 a year, I never have to buy overpriced mags from the newsstand.

Not a biggie, but I get your point....
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I dropped it back in 2008 or so and haven't looked back at all. Most information is easily available online if I really want to know something.
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  10. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

I dropped it in 2009 after having a subscription from 1992. When it went from an average page count of 110 - 115 down to around 75 - 80, but kept about the same number of ads, I didn't see the point of continuing. I also got very turned off by the editor writing about politics. I can get that anywhere, with a lot more objectivity.

I find about as much info here on TB with less bias.
  11. Rocker949

Rocker949

It has been quite a while since I subscribed to it. But I may start subscribing again. It's flawed just like about everything else, but I still wouldn't mind receiving an issue in the mail every month again.
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I cancelled my subscription about 15 years ago and have only purchased one issue since then. The magazine seems to be more interested in advertising than real stories. Considering the fact that they rely on advertising for most of their revenue, I am skeptical about their gear reviews.
  13. JimK

JimK

I'm one of those guys with every issue (still) & I still subscribe. I have always liked BP...but I do understand (many) others' point about the magazine dropping off theoir radar (the past 5 years or so?).
    The music reviews? IMO, they were much better years ago...cooler/more esoteric stuff was reviewed. Now? I dunno, most of the time, it's 3-4 sentences? that's a review?
    Also, the cover story? Again, IMO, go into some depth with these guys.
    Example: A lotta people wanted years for something/anything on Peter Cetera. He finally makes it as a cover story...the article/interview inside was much too brief. I always cite the Anthony Jackson interview from a Guitar Player magazine as the Gold Standard of interviews...Robert Fripp is on the cover...it is from January 1986?!?!? Damn...

Another feature I like in the current style of BP magazine-
    Every so often, they do something that profiles a specific player & the albums he played on...example, Marvin Isley was once profiled. Musical examples & transcriptions are also given. This feature was nice, IMO...have not seen one in awhile...it's probably been put to bed.
  14. JimK

JimK

Yeah, agreed.
    It would be nice to see something/anything on guys like-
    Dennis Dunaway (not the little 1/2 page thingee from 10-15 years ago).

Ray Ransom...the funky bassist in Brick.

The bassists in Heatwave (Mantese & Bramble)...something musical, not the guru stuff that was covered from an earlier Mantese article.

Ya know...while these guys are still around.
  15. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I've only subscribed to it for a couple of years, but I probably will keep with it, for a while anyway. Subscriptions aren't too expensive. I have times I'm soccer dad, sitting in waiting rooms while my daughter has dance or karate or whatever, and I like being able to read about bass-related stuff in those dead times. The reviews are really more announcements than reviews and useless to decide if a product is any good or not. I bought a pedal once on the basis of a glowing BP review and it was awful. But it's still interesting to me to read about players and bands, to get ideas from the sections on technique and theory and transcriptions, and to drool over the new gear even if I don't trust the reviews.
  16. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner Supporting Member

I've stopped it for a couple reasons. First I didn't like the new format of the larger shape but seemingly smaller content?
    Second whomever was on the cover also seems to be in a product ad on every other page. It became nothing of why I got it in the first place.
  17. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr whatever Supporting Member

I stopped subscribing years ago because I got tired of their elitism. Everything from the articles, to the ads, appear to be geared toward the Musicians Institute graduate with multi-thousands of dollars worth of the highest end equipment. The message I got from it month after month is that unless your abilities are in the Victor Wooten or Jeff Berlin ballpark, you're pretty much to be ignored.
  18. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

I remember when it first came out and the backlash from readers was so bad that after about 4 issues they had to write an editorial apologizing for their blatantly biased reviews. As mentioned above they would mix an interview, a review and a full page ad and you could not tell the difference between the editorial copy and the ad copy. Nice read if you like pretty pictures and manufacturer supplied descriptions.
  19. groooooove

groooooove

whisky advocate is the only magazine i subscribe to.

a lot of the stuff in bassplayer is geared towards hobbyists. nothing wrong with that, its just useless to me, unless they're reviewing gear i can't get near to try, but im in NY, so i can get to try pretty much anything..

there'll occasionally be something on someone i like, like pattitucci or richard bona or whatever, but it's not that important for me to see. i've met most of these people in and around NYC anyway, and i try and see them play as often as i can..if i have a question i can just ask them, assuming they've got a gig here coming up.
  20. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

No. The review of the new Arcade Fire album basically amounted to, "3 different people played bass on the album".

I'll take these two together to say that they do a pretty balanced job of advanced/professional and intermediate/hobbyist. That's how I see their mix, anyway.
  21. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

This is true of [DEL]any[/DEL] [DEL]most[/DEL] almost all magazines. It's why I don't subscribe to any magazines anymore.