1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Engelhardt EM1-B as a slap bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by ERIC A, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ERIC A

ERIC A

I just purchased a used Engelhardt EM1-B as a slap bass (plain gut d and g, wound e and a) . I tried it on a gig last night using a gage realist pick-up and it was a disaster (no definition at all. Big thud). My other bass is a Shen plywood strung with velvet blues and it sounds great. The Engelhardt EM1-B sounds find acoustically, but plugged in it was rough. Any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

It's the Realist. Pure thud on a ply top especially with dark strings like gut.

You'll probably do much better with an Underwood or a Rev Solo, maybe a Bass Max if you like lots of low-mids that will sound like a P-Bass.

3. mebusdriver

mebusdriver

I've got the same bass and I use the bass max set up. It's a great mix. Currently using weed whackers.... It's getting the job done.

4. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

The Engelhardt is the bass of choice for Nicolas Dubouchet and he gets a fantastic slap tone. Makes me want to trade my Kay for an Engelhardt with Cordes Lambert strings (just kidding)

5. Register to disable this ad