1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Engine design idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by graver555, Mar 4, 2014.

1. graver555

graver555

Ok so this is probably an unneccasary and dumb idea, but what if you take an opposed piston engine, and electrically isolate the pistons. Then instead of run the spark through a plug, make it jump between the two cylinders. I feel like it would create an electrical storm inside the cylinder igniting more fuel then a spark plug could, with a possibility for very low clearence and thus high compression.

For those of you who dont know what an opoc engine is here is a picture.
    images.jpg .

2. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

How is the spark going to jump through one piston and through another piston to the fuel/air mixture on the other side? Also, how are you going to correctly time the spark so that the cylinders fire correctly?

3. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

how would it ignite in the first place? Super high compression?

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

It would destroy the cylinder walls.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM Supporting Member

Are y'all guys...... Seriously???!!

Put electrodes in the piston, easily doable, now wether or not a larger spark it at all necessary I'm not sure..

And the spark doesn't have to jump
    Through two cylinders and then the fuel, ***?

The fuel/air mixture is between the two pistons,, same cylinder..

7. Tony Flow MMMM

??!??!!? The spark? Geez

8. Tony Flow MMMM

...... No?

9. Tony Flow MMMM

By the way, no reason it has to be opposed engine.

10. edpal

edpal Banned

The underlined part, I think you meant jump between the two pistons. In that case really only one piston has to be electrically isolated from the whole shebang. The engine block and one piston can be the negative, the isolated piston the positive.

The problem is getting a spark to jump very far and maintain localized heat energy. I am assuming you have seen a spark plugs gap? It is unfortunately about as state of the art as it gets. A gas under pressure like that needs a very hot spark to ignite. A more spread out spark from the same current will be much cooler. IMO timing this whole thing would be fairly easy.

Frankly if you can get those pistons to travel close enough to jump a good spark yet travel far enough to do some useful work you don't need the spark at all since it would diesel just fine.

11. graver555

graver555

Yes that is what I meant sorry. And yea It would make more sense just to use a diesel in this situation now that I think about it.

Thanks for listening to me everyone just a crazy idea I though of haha :D

12. graver555

graver555

No and even if it was (while I support its legal struggle) I wouldnt do it. Between my family history, and how easily I get addicted to non chemical things I doubt it would end well.

13. Tony Flow MMMM

Why? Screw that, it has potential for high horsepower, don't stop there not to mention as I said you could do this with a normal cylinder too... So if a bigger spark could be better, why not pursue it.

14. graver555

graver555

Why not create an array of in-bedded electrodes along the face of the piston or cylinder, that way you have half a dozen or so arks? I heard on some drag engines they have 2+ spark plugs.

15. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

The opposed piston concept is not new, and it combines the advantages of short stroke, small combustion chamber, and small bore.

The downsides are with the short stroke x 2, the piston tends to travel away faster than the flame propagation can maintain cylinder pressure, and by the time you add in the coupling losses of two crankshafts, there's no net gain.

And you still somehow need to make room for valves to get the charge air in and exhaust out, even if you're using direct cylinder injection to get the fuel in.

16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Air-cooled Porsches have had twin ignition since the 1950's, as do all piston aircraft...

17. graver555

graver555

Fair enough. I wasnt actually offended anyway haha.

18. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I'm not seeing how the engine torque is going to be applied as work in this reading: electrically isolating the pistons would leave no common connector to transfer the force of the combustion into a flywheel that can do work.

Peace,
    Greg

19. graver555

graver555

Cut the header into 8 pieces, one for each cylinder then isolate with high temp silicone? Would just be like a thick gasket I would think. Or do you think this would blow out from the pressure

20. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For some reason I read it as NOT having a spark plug. Geez

I'll now bow down to you as the superior mechanic :rolleyes:

21. graver555

graver555

NO no you read it right, there would be no spark plug, but instead just an electric spark between the piston and the head (or other piston in my original idea)