1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

..Engines On...We Have Lift-Off.....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

When you play a gig do you carefully structure your sets
    so that there is a rising crescendo of tempo throughout the evening topped off by a stratospheric orgasmic run followed by a few songs to bring 'em gently back down on the runway?

2. the yeti

the yeti

probably best to hit 'em hard and never let up.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

I like to start uptempo and end uptempo. If there's slow stuff, it's good to park it in between more upbeat stuff. That tends to work for me, anyway.

The Yeti makes an excellent point, too! ;)

4. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

We call audibles so we can tweak the set to match the audience. There should be a certain flow to each set.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Arrange each set as a complete mini show.

7. masterFlash

masterFlash

Depends on the length of the set or show. For a short one (30-40 mins) it can be full tilt. For longer ones, its hard for the crowd to pump the fists and slam dance for 1.5 hours or more. Those ones I usually start with either rockin songs or dancing songs. Get the blood moving. Then halfway through the set I'll put in a solo song. The whole band leaves the stage except the singer. After that our Bagpiper marches through the venue upto the stage and we start to build the intensity of the show until the end and always go out on a BANG.

My philosophy is every 3 songs there has to be a decent change. If all the songs are hard rockin, they don't stand out. (unless its a short set as stated previously)

A punk rock song sounds so much more aggressive if it comes right after a low-key a Capella number.

8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Start with good energy, but still leave yourself somewhere to go (up). Hit that peak, then drop it off the cliff.

Build up again & drop off again. Repeat a number of times appropriate to the show/set length.

Finish on a high energy level. There's an old show-biz axiom: "Leave 'em wanting more!"

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

I have written setlists like that. IME, you can be more creative with setlist construction when the gig is more concert-like, such as an hour and a half show at an outside venue or a theatre where people are sitting and watching the entire time. Gigs that are in bars in front of dance crowds are generally more limiting when it comes to writing setlists.

10. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin

One band, the BL puts together a setlist and we blast through it. The other band, we do a setlist but it changes during the show. The second band is a whole lot more fun to play in and we do a lot more shows.