Enigma Q balls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

I bought this pedal a few months back and although its great i feel like its just a little too complex for me. It's also a little "synthy" for my taste. Anyone have any ideas for something similar without all the settings and knobs and switches. Also, something a little more organic sounding. P.S. if anybody is interested in an enigma q balls i have the pedal with the original box and power supply i'd be willing to trade for something cool. Or sell for that matter. Thanks everybody.
  2. mbernard110

mbernard110

I have a EBS BassIQ which I really love for what I consider an organic sound. Great filter with no bottom-end loss, and only two knobs (attack and threshold) which work great with the HQ setting. Look up some reviews of it and I would consider a trade; i've been GASing for something with more controls. Shoot me a PM if you'd be interested in a trade.
  3. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I just got a 3Leaf Audio Proton, and it is very organic and funky sounding, but also pretty flexible with a decay knob, but otherwise pretty simple. Three knobs, two toggle switches.
  4. Inconnu

Inconnu

I use 2 envelope filters from EHX, a Mini Q-Tron (they don't make it anymore, but they make the Micro Q-Tron which is near identical) and a Bassballs. Using those 2 pedals (not at the same time!) gives me 2 great envelope settings at the tip of my toes. 2 really organic tones. And the great thing about all this is that I got away with this by spending less then 200$ NEW.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I like this idea. I have a BassBalls and use it 75% of the time when I want a filter - super simple, always sounds great. The rest of the time, I use a Source Audio BEF - way more complex then the Q-balls Enigma.

I also have a Q-balls. I pretty much never use it. I should dust it off and refresh my memory of it... However, I wasn't too keen on it. I like it, but I like the other two more.
  7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

Salut !

How do you like the Mini Q Tron ?
  8. The Squito

The Squito

I think the Q- Balls is pretty organic...just gotta be very careful with it as it is extremely sensitive...can easily hurt your speakers with wrong settings. It took me about a month to really find the right sound. Very unique sound IMHO.
  9. jongor

jongor

Would you mind posting the settings you use here?

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Filters are like fuzz you have to find what works with your bass, hands and set up. The hard part is there are so many cool filters out there from simple to complex, common to ultra rare.

For me nothing is better than EHX BassBalls, unless there are 2. The BassBalls has been in use for a long time but I always wanted another filter so went thru about everything out there until my drummer said why not a pair of Bass Balls, and it worked. I have a stock NYC BassBalls before the fuzz and a modded NYC BassBalls after that gives me the best of all.
  11. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

Agreed, except it took me very little time to find the sound I was looking for. I'm still finding new and very usable tones with my Q-Balls. I never could get along with the BassBalls, though. I thought it sounded hollowed-out, and I didn't like the voicing. The distortion (fuzz) on the Q-Balls fattens the tone nicely, while the distortion on the BassBalls just made it sound more shrill and harsh. I find the Q-Balls to be more more organic and fat than the BassBalls. IMO and all that.