Ensoniq MEC

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Does anyone have any experience with these? I bought a rack case a few weeks ago and tt had an Ensoniq MEC installed in it that was 'donated' to me.

I've done some basic Googling and other research and can't really find anything on it. I'm mostly interested in selling it. (If I can) What type, if any, value is there in this? I don't know if I have the patience, time or money to get this thing working. It looks like I have to connect it to a computer or something.

If anyone has any advice, or comments on these, I'd apprectiate it. Any resale information would be awesome. I've seen somethine very similar on ebay going for about $250

Thanks in advance. :bassist:

2. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

If I can't get anyone to comment on one, I'd assume the chances of selling one are slim to none. :eyebrow:

3. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

The MEC is one of the components of the late, lamented Ensoniq PARIS DAW system from the late 90's - early 2000's era. PARIS was highly thought of for it's converter and DSP sound quality (I know, I owned one for a long time), but it was a highly proprietary closed system, not just a 'sound card', and unfortunately, the system never caught on like it should have, IMHO, and it is long out of production.

The MEC is the chassis which contains the I/O for the PARIS system. There were slots for analog in cards, analog out cards, ADAT cards, and a time code synchronizer module. The rest of the PARIS system consisted of a PCI interface/DSP card for PC or Mac (you could use more than one to expand channel count), a single rack unit, simpler 4 I/O chassis for smaller systems, and a 16 fader/transport control remote panel.

There are a few remaining PARIS aficionados here: http://kerrygalloway.com/ParisForums/.

You might advertise there for someone looking to expand their existing system.

I loved mine, the sound quality was superb, but software development stalled due to corporate mismanagement of the system... a sad story...

Good luck.