1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Entering my mom's car on Overhaulin...is there even a chance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pocketgroove, Dec 23, 2012.

1. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

So this is sort of a random thread...I've caught a few episodes of the new season of Overhaulin', and I started thinking about the 1975 Dodge Dart in the garage. It runs, it drives, and with the Slant Six, it never gives up. It needs a lot of work though. My mom bought it right after I got my license three years ago to share with me.

She had classic cars when she was younger, but they were all stolen, wrecked or pawned by a boyfriend, they just fell apart, or she had to sell them to keep us kids fed. She really wanted another classic car, and this was the perfect opportunity.

A little bit of background: I have two other sisters (at 19, I'm in the middle), and my mom always put us first. She works 60 hour weeks and very rarely gets or does anything special for herself. One of those rare treats is a Hot Wheels car, usually of the Mopar variety. She works really hard to make sure we have what we need, but nothing good ever comes her way. Last month her main car was hit by another driver, and it did a lot of damage. One of the few true joys she has is going to car shows and cruises in the warm months and looking at people's cars.

I'd really like to make this happen for her, but it doesn't seem like there's much of a chance. I've heard that most of the cars that get accepted are in Southern California, and as Detroit is all the way across the continent, it doesn't seem very likely.

Any insight? If nothing else, at least we can dream.

Attached Files:

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sounds like the geography is against you but you pitch it good. A screentest sorts the wheat from the chaff, have a go.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Considering how much they put into the cars and the amount that I assume is donated for the sake of getting free advertising, it shouldn't be a big deal to transport a car to California. It's about $500, anyway- not a deal-breaker for them.

Give it a shot- the worst they can say is "no", but I don't think I'd wait with bated breath.

Those are old photos, right?

4. tmdazed

tmdazed

thing i found with these shows , its usually people who can well afford to get their cars done themselves that get overhauled, rappers, film and tv personalities, big name musicians, with a light sprinkle of joe and mary 6 pack in for optics. BUT what the hell try it out it may pay off

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

They're from over the summer, why?

Thanks so much for the responses so far, guys.

7. kjpollo

kjpollo

You know, if you do a good job of writing up what you wrote in the OP, who knows? You might have a shot. Look the the Home Makeoever show. That show will ALWAYS take the story that really tugs at the heartstrings.

It sounds like your mom has done a lot for her family over the years and since you dont mention him at all, is it safe to assume that there is no dad in the picture? A lot of times a single, very hardworking mom deserves a reward for all the good things she does.

It wont cost you anything upfront except some of your time to draft a really nice email or letter to the producers of the show.

If it doesnt pan out, you havent lost anything but some time. And if they do decide to do something for you- home run!

And whats up with mom's main car? Isnt there somebody's insurance to pay for the repairs? Or was is totalled?

8. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

There is no dad in the picture...she raised us alone and always did her best. Seeing as I'm on Talkbass today, she must have done a fine job!

Her main car is an 07 Fusion...insurance would only cover $1000 of the $1500+ bill. $500 is kind of a big deal with Christmas right here, but she helped me buy gifts for charity and get my truck running instead of having her car fixed. After the holidays, I'll help her get together the rest of the money to get it fixed, but she'll try to take care of everyone else first.

Thanks again...it couldn't hurt to make a submission. I do the maintenance on the Dart so I know it very well...it's not a hard car to work on. As you said, there's absolutely nothing to lose by trying; the only possible outcome, however unlikely, is a good one.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

As much chance as winning the lottery. The difference is that submitting the car probably is free, so why the hell not do it.

10. hover

hover

I'd totally enter it...just don't let XHibit or the booshdaggs from GAS get a hold of it...it'll end up dispensing soft serve from the dash and grow something hydroponically in the back seat...surrounded by ten 30" subwoofers.

11. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Lmao I hear you there...rims and subs. That's why I'm looking at Overhaulin instead of Pimp My Ride. I can just picture my mom's face if this were to actually happen...it would be unforgettable.

12. Joey3313

Joey3313

Seeing as how that piece of garbage show has been off the air for half a decade, I don't think that'd be a real fear.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

As others said, if there's no entry fee, then I say do it! That's a cool car!

14. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

That car is cool!

I'd start a cover letter with something like my Mom's
    Sleeper Car,gives them some sort of challenge..

Good luck with the entery.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

If they do take it don't let them ruin it with 20" wheels and shaved door handles. Chip has a habit of this, imo.

If I was going to "overhaul" it, I'd put a 340 in it with a pistol grip 4 speed, move the leaf springs inboard and put a slightly wider tire under the back.

16. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

So... why did you start this thread instead of entering the car?

17. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Just to seek thoughts on it while I get together pictures and a video for the submission. Honestly, I bring everything to TB...it's like talking to friends.

18. hover

hover

Yeah man, that thing I did there...earlier...? That was called a joke.

19. canopener

canopener

Dang, I'd love it if someone would enter my '69 Mustang on Overhaulin'. Not sure if I'd dig anything but original, but ever since I had a lil fender bender in '04 that thing has had so much old gas in it...

20. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

You ought to get someone to try!

I'm waiting til the snow melts so I can pull the Dart out of the garage for pictures and videos. Right now it needs a jump to get started and the front tires are probably pretty low. Do you guys think it would be better to do a written submission with pictures, or a video submission?

21. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Do both if you can and package them together.

lowsound