entry-level bass, Canada?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by chsm, Jan 24, 2014.

1. chsm

chsm

Hello, I'm looking for the least-expensive-but-nonetheless-serviceable bass available through a Canadian source. TIA for all leads and suggestions!

2. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Where are you located?

3. awp

awp

Fwiw I just went through this process in the fall. I was buying a bass for my son to use at home (it was for me too but that is beside the point). All the advice I was given suggested staying away from Long and McQuade.

My son's teacher recommended a local luthier. After meeting and talking through our goals and budget we ended up getting an Eastman laminate VB80 with some upgrades on bridge and strings. Another benefit of going through the luthier was a pro setup.

London Ontario area if you are interested.

4. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

+1 on this.

We could tell you the best source in St. John's, but that wouldn't do you much good in Vancouver (for the US majority, that's like Ft. Lauderdale vs. San Diego).

So, where are you located?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

awp is right regarding a good BASS luthier. I visited a shop in Toronto specializing in stinged instruments (mostly violins, violas, and cellos), and their bass setups were very poor. I won't go in the details, but some of it was actually pretty sad. The UB is a specialized instrument that requires a specific skill set from your luthier. If your on the left coast, check out Jake at The Bass Spa (www.thebassspa.com), George Heinl in Toronto, and I'm sure other folks can point out good shops elsewhere.