Envelope controlled... ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Derek Balonek, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

Obviously the envelope filter is one. A compressor is an envelope controlled gain stage. Pigtronix has an envelope phaser and I think I've heard of a tremolo as well. What else is out there with envelope control? What would you be interested in seeing with envelope control?

2. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

There's a dynamic delay and envelope flanger in the zoom b3. I haven't messed with either of them yet though. Envelope control over the frequency sweep of a ringmod would be neat so would envelope sample rate sweeps on a bitcrusher.

3. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

Toadworks used to (still does?) make the Enveloope, which is an envelope-controlled FX loop, so you could put any effect in there that you want.

4. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

talk about delay, remind me of one of tc toneprint, Janel flashback , I think it is called sausage and beer. The harder you pluck the harder the volume of the delay.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

That's a cool thing. Similar to my idea.

I ask this because I'm thinking of putting together an envelope controlled expression. An envelope follower is relatively simple, and with a second one working in the other direction one could simulate the pot inside an expression pedal. Wonder what it would work well with?

7. Swift713

Swift713

When I had the Line 6 M5 I was quite fond of the "bias trem" with envelope control of the rate. Does anyone know of any other trems that can do that for less than $200?

8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

The EHX Steel Leather is basically an envelope-controlled preset EQ. Never seen anything else quite like it.

--

9. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Older Lexicon digital delays (e.g., PrimeTime, PCM-42, PCM-41) had an envelope follower available as a modulation source. This allowed you to do envelope-controlled flanging and envelope-controlled echos. Cool stuff; the longer the delay time the more warbly & chaotic the pitch of the echos got, depending on how hard you played.

I *think* the old Eventide Harmonizers -- I'm thinking of the H910 and H949 -- had a built-in envelope follower also, but I'm not positive about that.

10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

The old Boss EH-2 was very similar to the Steel Leather, except that you could actually adjust the center frequency of the band that is boosted by the envelope.

11. andvari7

andvari7

There is envelope chorus, in one of the features of the Strymon Ola. Line 6 has the Liqua Flange. And is it fair to call the dynamic clipping of a tube amp "envelope-controlled overdrive?"

12. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

Nifty idea Derek! I would quite like to try something like that myself. Any particular schematics you're looking into at this point?

13. takfar

takfar

Boss Slow Gear and its clones are envelope-controlled volume pedals.

14. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    BOSS GT-10 and probably other GT series allows you to assign an envelope control via the assigns to pretty much any parameter you want. You're limited only to your imagination.

Roland GR-55 has built-in envelope for the ring mod. You can sweep up or down, and control the sensitivity (range) of the sweep. Fun stuff.

15. Derek Balonek

Derek Balonek

Wow, I'm surprised this picked back up. Cool. :)

I've tried envelope ringmod before with VSTs. It's... unusual. You get a weird sweeping sound; kind of like a slide.

No particular schematics yet. I've been occupied with other projects. The basic concept would most likely be using an opto envelope control. You'd full-wave rectify the signal and filter to get the envelope and use it to drive an LED that affects an 2 LDRs, one of which controls the voltage to another LED/LDR combo so one decreases in resistance while the other increases.

Alternatively, it would be easier to use JFETs biased as variable resistors and drive one with an inverted signal.

Slow Gear is a cool little thing. For the bowed string sound I prefer 100% wet reverb though, as it is allows more consistency.

16. Swift713

Swift713

I would really like to be able to hook up an envelope follower to the expression pedal jack of my B3.

17. Swift713

Swift713

Would anyone care to take a stab at building an envelope following expression pedal or know someone who might?

18. Skrogh

Skrogh

I could do it, it's fairly simple, but I got other projects at the moment. I might order a digital pot the next time i am buying components and try it out...

19. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

I bet you Adam from CopilotFX could add envelope control to his Broadcast pedal (which is a fancy expression controller). You might want to shoot him an email or talk to him over on ilovefuzz.com. He has his own forum there.

20. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Eventide Pitchfactor can do envelope based pitch shifting and chorusing. Modfactor has envelope control over all of its modulation effects.

21. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

Slightly off, but at the mention of the Pitchfactor, I have to ask-

Does it have a 5th + ocatve setting for whammy II magic?