Envelope Filter volume

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by afs2011, Apr 12, 2014.

1. afs2011

afs2011

Hi, I'm fairly new to pedals but I have a DOD 25B Envelope Filter, which does not have a volume setting. When I turn it on I can't hear myself. I've been trying to compensate by turning my bass down on the actual instrument during sound check, and going full volume when I use the filter, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way?

Running a Squier P-Bass through a Yorkville VGM14 mixing board, and we use two subs as well. I like the sound when the pedal is off, just need to be louder when it's on.

Thanks!

2. jwb39

jwb39

I have one and run it with an MXR Micro Amp in the same loop. Works well for me.

afs2011 likes this.
  3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

you sure its running properly?

4. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Clean boost after it in the same loop is good, or some light OD or boost before it, with the sensitivity set for that higher volume.

afs2011 likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. afs2011

afs2011

Ok cool. What exactly does "in the same loop" mean?

7. HolmeBass

Media:
    I meant in-line with the EF, right after it.

8. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

9. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Using a line selector such as the aforementioned Boss LS-2, you can have different FX loops ie different signal paths from your bass to the amp. Kind of like there's multiple roads to travel from A to B on a map, but one road takes you by the Burger Drive-In while another road takes you past the Ice Cream Parlour – or the most direct route with no stops along the way. Which road you take depends on what you're hungry for.

Using the LS-2 as an example: One loop might have distortion on it, and another loop your filter and boost. By keeping different FX in separate loops you can keep the signal-to-noise ratio as low as possible instead of having your signal running directly through all your pedals.

Since you mention no other pedals, you don't need a "looper" such as the LS-2 (Line Selector with two separate loops, right?), you can just run a booster (as others have mentioned) before or after your filter, whatever sounds better to you. You'll have to stomp on them both whenever you want the filter on. If you have something like an LS-2, you can leave the booster on and the filter on at all times and toggle them both on/off simultaneously, thus easily toggling between your clean unaffected signal and your FX-signal. The more FX you have, the more likely you'll want multiple loops and a line/loop selector such as the Octaswitch or Gig Rig switcher, or RoadRage switcher systems...

TBH, at this point you don't need a line/loop selector, just the booster and put them close together for a quick double-stomp.

https://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/fx-loops-explained
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_loop

A simple two-loop switcher setup from Radial:
    [​IMG]

More loops from Wounded Paw with extra controls...
    [​IMG]

Here's a review of a RoadRage multi-loop stomper with a video demo...
    ______________click^
    [​IMG]

10. JustSomeDude

JustSomeDude

Good advice/info already, but the obvious solution is to get a different Envelope Follower with good volume controls.
    I've had a few good ones.
    The old Ibanez tan colored pedal had good control.
    Mutron, Moogerfooger etc....

I've just used the MXR for the last week on a string of shows.
    It has a Blend knob which has been GREAT.

11. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, Source Audio
    Blend knobs and volume knobs are both essential in bass envelope filter applications. Filtering, especially on bass, removes lots of energy from the signal. To get the right amount of low end, you need to BLEND some of the clean signal back in. To get the right overall output level when the effect is engaged, you need to have an output VOLUME control.

12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk

Yep. Blend and output volume control are very important. I plan to get my Qballs, which already has a blend knob, modded with a volume knob.

However, I will say that a good low pass envelope filter will provide all the low end you need, even without clean blend.

13. HolmeBass

Media:
    Gonna +1 FilterFunk's post. Once you're into band pass though a clean blend does become more important.