1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Envelope Filters?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by joel the bass player, Jan 6, 2001.

1. joel the bass player

joel the bass player

I was wondering if anyone here uses an envelope filter and which brand you use. Also, what other effects do you use to get that funk out of you?
  2. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

I have an old green DOD envelope filter that I like a lot. I also have some filter effects on a Korg AX1B that are OK, but not as funky and unpredictable.
  3. steamboat

steamboat

Unless I somehow get my hands on a Lovetone Meatball and it really blows me away.. I'll probably be buying an EBS BassIQ. It's a pretty sweet little pedal. I've tried out an EH Bassballs, EH Qtron+, Boss Autowah, and some filter in a Zoom MultiFX.. and for me the BassIQ blows them all away. The Qtron+ was alright and had some features that the BassIQ doesn't have, but for me the BassIQ just seemed to have a better overall sound, and was definitely quieter.

I imagine that the Lovetone Meatball and also the Moogerfooger Lowpass are both great pedals (When I was trying out the Qtron+... the store also had a Moogerfooger Lowpass Filter.. I don't know why I didn't give that a try :( ) but they also cost quite a bit more than the BassIQ. I'd have to try them out to justify their higher cost.
  4. joel the bass player

joel the bass player

I recently got the DOD pedal also. I bought it brand new from the store and the clerk seemed a little suprised to see me buying the pedal. It is my first effect, but I enjoy the different sound and the funky sounds I get from it. There is a different playing style I have to use when I turn the pedal on, but I like it.
  5. postalflunkie@yahoo.com

postalflunkie@yahoo.com

I have an old MXR Envelope filter. If you can find one, Try It... There GREAT!
  6. dancehallclasher

dancehallclasher

i have bassballs. it rules. it's my only effect, and probably all i'll ever want. well, maybe a phase 90.
  7. arther daily

arther daily

i have a bassballs and a dod envelope - whihc IMO is totally naff! - it just doesnt handle low ranges at all.

I love the bassballs - but it has a very distinct sound which can only really be used on one track, if your lucky!
  8. bassbrad

bassbrad

Envelope followers are probably my favorite effect pedal so I have a bunch of them. I don't really think of 1 being better than the others but which one is most useful or sounds better for a specific song or mood. I have 2 original bassballs and 1 of them is always with me, it is my favorite. I also have 2 original DrQ pedals that are a lot of fun as well as a Qtron that is really useful for getting exactly the sound you want in the studio but I hardly ever use it live too many knobs. I also have a MXR Envelope Filter, an Ibanez AutoFilter plus the ones in the 506 and BassPOD and they all have their sound. Lately I've been experimenting using envelope followers with an EH BassMicroSynth to more easily get more textures with really good results. I've also been thinking about checking out the EBS iQ. Tried a MoogerFooger and a Lovetone and didn't really dig them.
  9. Mesa Man

Mesa Man

I have the EBS BassiQ, yup its a cool box with great sound. Could be used in any song (with different settings ofcourse..) Higly recommended!! :)
  10. bassmanjck

bassmanjck

I have a Bassballs as well. It sounds great, but I agree, you can't use it too often.
  11. slam

slam Guest

I have several filters:

1. Dod - on loan to a friend. This one is great for a dub reggae tone. I always have a lot of trouble getting the sweep on this one.

2. Q-tron - I love the sound of this pedal, but I haven't been using it lately because of the sound cutting in and out. Nice filter sound.

3. mxr - more for guitar IMO. Hard to get a good sound that I like.

4. paia filter kit - This is a kit that I built myself, and it has a really nice sound. Check it out if you're so inclined.

I just got a EH Bass Microsynth a month ago so all my filters are on the shelf temporarily. The BMS has a nice filter built in, along with several other features.

For more fun, try using two filters at once. I did this for a while (with the paia running into the dod), but I was afraid I would blow my amp as the sweeps are very powerful sounding.
  12. smoothergroover

smoothergroover

Bassballs reissue - mad thing, cool but used sparingly!

DOD pedal - OK but difficult to get a useful sweep, sounds too electronic for me, good for sub-bass dubby stuff.

The envelope filter on my Zoom 1201 is quite versatile - from mad to subtle + I can blend w/ clean signal on my amp. BUT is digital and sounds it.
  13. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

I got a brand-new Boss AW-3 last week--the only one I could find in the Chicago area.

There are more damn sounds in that little box than I know what to do with. It has low-pass, high-pass, band-pass ("Sharp"), vowel ("Humanizer"), and LFO-modulated low-pass ("Tempo") modes, as well as manual control on the first three if you plug an expression pedal into the exp./ctl. jack. There are some nasty sounds, but there are some fabulous ones in there; you just have to dig around. Also, it creates a really musical fuzz if you set the Humanizer to the same vowel sound for each filter stage, which is cool for both bass and guitar.

For $125 with power supply and tax, it's a good deal. Don't pass it up.
  14. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

I think the MXR Envelope Filter is the best, here is my review if you wanna check it out.

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I dig envelope filters. the ones that I have are:
    Lovetone meatball
    Mutron V
    MXR M82
    Mutron III
    WMD Superfatman
    Seamoon Funk Machine
    Mad professor Snow White Auto Wah
    EHX DrQ
    EHX Enigma Qballs
    Source Audio BEF Pro
    Source Audio Manta

the two Source Audio ones are my favorites.
  16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

I'm not sure there is a best envelope filter, but the MXR BEF is certainly my current favorite :)
  17. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Holy cow, 13-year-old thread! These are nice updates.
  18. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

I had to find an excuse to get some views on my pedal review :p
  19. Richard Walters

Richard Walters Gold Supporting Member

The MXR is very good but in my opinion the Aguilar Filter Twin is better. I've tried the EBS equivalent but it was too passive for my taste. All these envelope filters are very very dependent on how strong a signal you are sending and how hard you play, so it is a bit of a crap-shot.
  20. FilterFunk

FilterFunk