Envelopes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pharmakon, Feb 17, 2014.

1. pharmakon

pharmakon

Been wanting to get one for a bit, but definitely want one after seeing Freekbass last night!

I narrowed my choices down to 3 I could afford. They are:

E/H Bassballs (or clone)
    MXR Envelope Filter
    [DEL]Digitech Bass Synth Wah[/DEL]

Thoughts on which would give the most bang for the buck? I'm not really in a playing situation (with bass, at least) at the moment, but looking to put together a blues/psych/rock trio REALLY soon.

Thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Of those three, the MXR.

3. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

I had a digitech bass synth wah and returned it as it didnt have a level/output control so depending on the settingI had it on the volume would differ massively from my clean sound. You can get some pretty cool sounds out of it and its real fun to play with but not that practical IMO.

Cant speak on the others though.

4. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

It's not on your list, but you may want to take a look at the analog filter from Mojo Hand FX. It's the one I use and I really like it, it can go from mild to wild easily and it's very well made (true bypass, as well). The price is pretty good, too.

http://www.mojohandfx.com/product/443-analogue-filter/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JensCambre

JensCambre

check out the mooer sweeper. same sound and features of the bass balls (yes it's a clone) but its bloody small! on top of that you can controle the two filters (something for which you'd have to screw the bass balls open). price is the same.

7. pharmakon

pharmakon

The mooer sounds like a valid option now, especially with the price of a new one! I like the simplicity of it and the E/H one. The digitech had some options I'd probably never use, and I could see myself spending days on the MXR messing with all those knobs!

The Mojo sounded good but a bit out of my range, especially when I also want to upgrade my current instrument as well :) Didn't find any youtube videos of the 443 with bass, but did with the 442.

Thanks all so far!

8. mmbongo

Well if you've decided to venture outside of those 3 now, add the 3Leaf Proton and the Aguilar Filter Twin. I've had everything mentioned here so far and the Filter Twin is the one that can't be beat for me. It does a 'talk box' type thing that the others can't.

9. pharmakon

pharmakon

Both of those sound great, but at $199 street, it's a bit more than I want to spend at this time, though if sticking with the sound, I'll keep the twin filter on my radar. Saw some great demos of it online!

10. mmbongo

Yeah used price is normally around $125 or so.

11. erigod23

erigod23

Of those 3, definitely the MXR. No contest.

12. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Mxr for me too. It's real easy to dial in. I use it in four funky type songs we do and it does the job. You can find one used for a good price in the classifieds now and then.

13. pharmakon

pharmakon

I'll keep my eye out for that. I saw one used at 150, but that was just a quick search.

14. pharmakon

pharmakon

Got any sound samples?

15. Richard Walters

Richard Walters Gold Supporting Member

I agree. I've had both of these and a couple others, and the Aguilar is the one I like the best. Sometimes ya just gotta pay the money to get the best.

16. 10cc

10cc

Stay away from DigiTech and BassBalls. Both are crap.

17. cnltb

cnltb

prymaxe are doing a 20% thing today...brings the proton down a nudge.(the one I would go for at the moment)

18. ilansgroove

ilansgroove

there are a lot of cool filters out there.... but if you're on the budget, i would go with EHX micro Qtron, cheap and funky.....

19. Rio Chavez

Rio Chavez

I love my Mooer Bass Sweeper. I got it because I decided to get the Aguilar Octamizer and couldn't afford both the Filter twin and Octamizer. The Mooer has not let me down though, especially for the price.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    the Source Audio Manta is my favorite envelope filter.

21. shenanigans

shenanigans

Having played all three, I can testify that none of them are 'crap'. I will say the MXR probably has more traditional uses than either the Bassballs or SBW.

That said, my favorite sound for music I want to play would come from a Bassballs.