EP Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Is anyone else using one? How do you have it set? I turned the +3Db switch off and set it around 11:00.
  2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I have the internal +3db rocker switch turned off too, and the other rocker switch is set to flat (default setting) inside of my Xotic EP Booster. Oh, and yeah I also usually run the gain knob at about 10:00 to 11:00 o'clock too.
  3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Cool. I'm wondering about running it 18volt. They say it gives more headroom but I don't know what that really means. Would I be able to set it at 2:00 or 3:00 without it breaking up?
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, you can crank it all the way up to full blast without breaking it - just be careful not to overdrive anything else (unless you want to - but don't push your bass cab to hard).
  5. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Cool. Thanks!

I really love the tone of that pedal. I don't know how to explain it technically, but it gives your sound more punch.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Oh yeah, I totally like my tiny Xotic EP Booster too.

EDIT: Yeah, the Xotic EP Booster is slightly colored. This is what the Xotic website says about the EP Booster. http://xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/

So, in a nutshell - the EP Booster is Xotic's idea of the EP-3 frontend.

Have a fantastic week. Cheers
  7. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

love mine too
  8. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

can someone give me a rundown of what it does to your sound and the times you would use it in a song/set.

do you have it always on? or just boosting for solos? or boosting yoursignal for other FX etc?

I've heard good thigns about this little guy i just dont quite understand its function...
  9. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

It depends on the song and etc - for example, checkout my all Nano petal board http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=402404&d=1395629744
    (NOTE: I flipped the patch between the tuner and booster and spaced them better so now it looks better too) anyway, note the type petals (except for the Ditto they're all straight forward sound shaping petals) and note the audio chain flow. IE: I can use my Xotic EP booster in conjunction with my Xotic SP compressor - controlling the input drive gives me better control of the compressor and thus more out selection results. Or I can just use it as a solo or backing booster too.

EDIT: (TP Software Changed) - New Pic Link http://www.talkbass.com/attachments/2014-little-nano-petal-board-jpg.402404/

Cheers :)
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  10. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I just got mine so I can't answer how often I'll use it. The way I've been using it is back PU with the tone rolled all the way off. Kick on the EP Booster and BAM – Instant punchy Jaco tone. It's very warm for soloing and melodies and doesn't choke off the bottom end. I can't explain it technically but it makes the signal hotter and without distorting. I don't think it's a simple volume boost. It colors your tone the way a good amp does.
  11. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Wow! That's a clean little pedalboard
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

13. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Are you using a Onespot?
  14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yes - I'm using the 1Spot power supply.

But the 1Spot isn't under the board or even in the pic. And the daisy-chained power feed cable end is just tucked under the board in the pic.
  15. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Nice. I can tell from your board you're a tone chaser. And I mean that with respect.
  16. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Thanks. Yeah, for me its all about groove and tone. :)

EDIT: and I have Nano (1590A) size petal GAS too. :D
  17. metaball

metaball

end of the chain to boost the signal & color.
    here it's cranked to 4:00, it varies depending on the sensitivity of what i'm plugging into.

[​IMG]
  18. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Is anyone boosting their tube amp into OD with this bad little boy? I think I'm about to grab one. I want to boost my signal and try and push my tube amp into OD. Will it work?
  19. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

Definitely gregmon. It is partially what it was meant to do - and it is how people like Jimmy Page used it. If I were in the market for a boost pedal, it would be top of my list. I LOVE how it sounds. Very slightly colored but lovely. Absolutely lovely.
  20. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    SWEET! Thanks for the input man, I was hoping someone would chime in. I just snagged one in the CL's with the money I made from an amp sale. SO stoked to get it. Hopefully itll be here in a few days :) Ive been reading reviews about it and 9 times out of 10 peolpe praise the heck out of it.