Epi Goth T-Bird replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Adler45, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Adler45

Adler45

Hello all,

I got a Epi Goth T-bird back in 2011 to replace my old Fender MB-4 that had the body crack on it. While I like the neck pickup okay, the bridge pickup sounds thin and like it actually has less output, as it definitely does not "punch" like it should. I did all the adjusting I could to bring it closer to the pickup, but I am just not happy.

Now I would like to swap out the bridge or both the bridge and the neck pups but I know the Epi and the Gibson pickups are different and Gibby's just wont drop in. I saw that some people drop EMG HZ's in them, but I cannot find out which models drop in. I know I may have to drill a screw hole or two, that does not bug me, I just dont want to have to rout the body. A small gap is okay, but the more neat the fit the better.

Anyone know which EMG passive people must be using? Im cash strapped for anything high end right now and this guitar is kind of a backup/secondary/alternate tuning bass, as my tried and true Jazz bass is primary

2. jason_cfh

jason_cfh

EMG 35HZ Passive 4 String Bass Pickups for both neck and bridge.

3. Adler45

Adler45

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan SSBs are an inexpensive alternative. Same form factor as those EMGs, similar construction, close in price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Onelessfixie

Onelessfixie

Swapping out the bridge is going to add a very minimal perceptible difference in tone. I'm not sure why there's so much dislike of the three point bridge, honestly it's more than solid enough to do its job well. I also found it suits the overall rock & roll spirit of the Thunderbird quite well. It's simpler to adjust the string heights together as a whole, set & forget. It tends to not induce the OCD that individual string height adjustment can bring about. :smug:

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Pretty sure he's talking about swapping the bridge pickup, not the bridge. But yeah, the way it's worded I can see how you read it that way.