1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epi T-bird mod done!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spiffmeister, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

I've been looking at Ric5's 5-string conversions lately, and came up with an idea to convert an Epiphone Thunderbird to a 5-er. So, I bought a Limited Edition Silverburst T-bird, and a Kahler 5-string bridge and had my luthier give it a go!

The result is brilliant! It looks great, plays fantastically and sounds brilliant! The B-string isn't floppy at all and sounds damn good, better than my Yamaha BB415 even! The string spacing is very manageable! In fact, it allows for some interesting playing.

If it wasn't for the neck-dive, this would easily become my number one bass! :)

Sorry for the crappy pics!

Attached Files:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Very cool ...

3. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

4. Spiffmeister

Thanks for the inspiration :)

I'm thinking of some other minor mods, like fretboard decals and a new pickguard, which is less... plastic-y :) But I'm having a hard time finding pickguards for an Epi T-bird, especially here in Europe.

But, al in due time. First things first: rock this bass hard! :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

7. Spiffmeister

With the major mod done, I though I'd finish the looks of the bass the way I intended it to be originally. I'm quite satisfied with it, except for the truss rod cover, I might switch to different artwork there. It's not very in sync with the rest of the bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Nice bass, love the pickguard, very Gieger. I also find the Epi T bird B to be quite tight and responsive, it is no wonder you prefer it to your Yamaha B (which I find to be rather sloppy).

9. Spiffmeister

It is H.R. Giger :) Got some work from him made into a durable sticker, and put it on the stock plastic-looking pickguard. Big improvement!

It's a good bass indeed! I love the tone as well! It's not a very forgiving bass to play due to the weight and neck dive, and has some small issues, but that adds to it's charachter :) Right now I'm adjusting to the extreme string spacing and trying to master the thing.

10. Spiffmeister

Awesome! Did my first rehearsal with my customized Tbird yesterday, and it was great! Plenty of low end on all strings, good tone, and actually great playability! I'm getting used to this bass enough to be able to solo a bit, and improvising is getting easier as well!

There are some quirks that have come up though. The tension on the neck is quite a lot I think, or it may be the temperature changes from the past weeks, but the neck loses its straightness quickly. I find myself tightening the truss ros regularly.

Also, the truss rod cover is now less accessible, I have to loosen 3 strings to remove it. Not such a pain, but still :)