1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epi T-Bird PRO 4/5 - buzzing!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5stringfindlay, Jan 7, 2013.

1. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

Hey folks...

I'm new here - first post! I suppose there's another thread I can post to as well, but I'll start here for now.

Anyway - purchased an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro-5 at the end of October. For those that don't know, it's an active-pickup bass (and it's neck through). Since the beginning I've had an issue with buzzing - there's a high-pitched shrill buzz that i hear. EQing out the highs helps with it, but I'm wondering if there's another way to remedy that (shielding?). Also, if anyone here has the same issue with that bass and has any idea to get rid of the buzzing, let me know!

Thanks

5-string
  2. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Supporting Member

Not familiar with that model, but I'd venture to guess that the pre-amp in that bass is not very good. Shielding might help, I'm not sure how much Epiphone puts into their products anymore.
  3. llldino

llldino

I had an epi pro 4-string tbird about a year ago with the same problem. I took it back and got a Squier classic vibe P-bass, fixed my problem :spit:.

But seriously, does the buzzing go away when you touch the strings? It does sound like shielding would help.
  4. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

hah. I really want to keep the bass... had my eye on it for quite some time. It's bass #5 for me (currently own three, but i number my basses as I get them... long story)

the buzzing does indeed go away when i touch the strings. like i said in my earlier post, i can EQ the highs away and that eliminates the buzz, but i'd rather not do that. guess i'll have to see about getting some shielding done.

thanks guys!
  5. SigiZ58

SigiZ58

In my V Pro finally found the Pickups were the source of buzz... Replaced with SDs - Dead quiet since then.
  6. aquateen

aquateen

the first generation pickups on these were noisy but whatever the problem was got corrected on later builds. I sent mine back to Gibson to have them replaced under warranty. couldn't hurt to call Gibson and see if they'll cover it.
  7. SigiZ58

SigiZ58

i had definitely the new generation (build 2012)
    they were better (the first pro i had was 1st generation and i sent it back). nevertheless - removed the electronics and used it passive. and it buzzed almost like a single coil.
  8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

The bridge is not properly grounded. On any properly wired bass, the bridge should have a (usually bare) wire underneath it that's connected to the sleeve contact on the output jack or the casing of a potentiometer (which would then have to be connected to the jack sleeve contact again). Check to see if the bass has a wire coming from "nowhere" (i.e. not from the position of the pickups), it's likely it's either soldered nowhere or soldered to the wrong spot..
  9. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

It is under warranty... Take it in.