Epifani - DIST 112 vs. ps115?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nvr2old, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

I have a GB STL-9.2 on the way and have been listening to various cabs to replace my current 110. Passed on a few 210s I thought I'd like, and while listening to a 212 that I'd heard great things about the shop owner did a side by side with an Epifani DIST 112. Oh, man. :eek: No comparison. Not even close. I play a P bass and love the low tones, and before I kill the budget on a DIST 112 I'm curious what anyone thinks of the PS115 in comparison (the shop didn't have one to compare)? Would the ps115 have a similar quality of tone to the DIST 112, or at half the price of the 112 is the 115 a completely different animal?

2. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Tough call. I have the PS115 and LOVE the sound but it doesn't seem to handle volume well / have headroom. That said, the only,time I've pushed it is after band practice to see its limits. It's a tad heavy for what it is but, man, it does sound good!

3. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Thanks! Have you compared it to the Epi ul112? I'm trying to figure out if the extra $400 for the DIST112 is for the electronics package (a dual voice coil able to switch from 4-8 ohms would be a cool feature) or if the 112 really is a better sound package.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

I've never heard the D.I.S.T. 112. I own a PS112. The PS series were made with ceramic speakers and were voiced for a more classic/traditional bass cab. The UL series used neo speakers and were more hi-fi. The UL series have been described as a bit scooped. I would love to pick up another PS112 one day. Too bad the PS series has been discontinued.

On the D.I.S.T. cab, you are definitely paying for that dual voice coil and switching technology.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nvr2old

Nvr2old

Have you compered the ps112 to the ps115? Is it weight that moves people to the 112s or do the 115s sound less... complete?

7. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

No, but there were some old threads on here you might want to search for.

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

My PS115 definitely sounds scooped. But a very nice sounding scoop :)