1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epifani T-210 UL - Stats Needed

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BigEarl, Feb 4, 2013.

1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Fellow TB'rs, I'm having a dickens of a time trying to figure out what the stats are on this Epifani cab. It's on order (used) through GC and I cannot find a definitive listing of the cab's details, mainly the weight. I'm well versed in Epi's website, or the lack thereof, and I can easily find details on the PS, DIST, UL2 and UL3 cabs, but the "T" series and UL1s are not on the website, and searches get a little murkey as these cabs appear to have gone through many iterations. I have a UL2 410 and I am assuming that the term "UL" stands for "Ultra Light" or something that gives me the impression that these are Neo drivers....

...So does anyone know the weight of an (as GC advertised) "Epifani T-210 UL"?

Thanks in advance!

e
  2. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm allergic to lentils, lima beans and Hip-Hop.
    You can bet it's about 46 lbs. The Neo drive-loaded UL, UL2 and UL3 lines are all within a pound or two of each other for the same driver size/qty. The UL's dimensions should be 18.5 x 23.5 x 16 or within a half an inch against each figure.
  3. BigEarl

BigEarl

So that begs another question. The T-series drivers that I have seen on the interwebs have the word "Epifani" written on the cones, this leads me to believe that the drivers are ceramic since that's what Nick used early on and the T-series cabs that I've seen are on the heavy side. Since this it called a "T-210 UL" is it simply a T-210 cab with Neos instead of ceramics? Or is it a prototype of the UL1 series (before they were known as UL's) with Neos? The GC pic showed a cab that matches the UL1 series, no name on the drivers and no "UL Series 2" on the badge.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

All the 't' means is tweeter loaded. The original Epi's were ceramin, heavy as heck, and had the Epifani logo sprayed on the speaker cone. Those haven't been made in years.

The UL series (they weren't called '1' since, well, there was only one UL series when they came out) were the first (as far as I know) production neo cabs available to the bassist. I had one for the first 210UL's and 410UL' of the line back in the day. They were super lightweight, and have a nice does of midrange, and were based on B&C neo drivers. The early production runs still used the 'T' indicator, which was dropped after a while, since all the cabs had tweeters by that time.

The old 'non UL' T cabs were renamed 'NYC' and stuck around for a year or two.

Nick switched to Eminence drivers for the Series II UL's. Still neo, a bit more scooped sounding, with a rounder low end. The earlier ULII's that had the same grill as the original UL's were made in the US andwere the same wonderful light weight. Sometime after the ULII"s were introduced, production was moved to China, and the weight went way up. You can tell the later heavier models (for the most part... lots of crazy variation in these at that time) but the grill, which is the larger holed grill used by the PS cabs.

The ULIII's are heavier yet, and have moved back to ceramic drivers.

The grill badges on the UL cabs tell you what model they are, with the original UL's just saying 'UL' on the badge (versus II, and I assume III... those heavier, ceramic UL's didn't make much of a splash when they were introduced.

Hope that helps.

K
  5. BigEarl

BigEarl

Thanks, Ken that helps out a lot! I have seen variances in the weights listed for these from the high 30's - the mid 40's, which is all within a reasonable variance for any 210. I'm just trying to stave off buyer's remorse while I wait ...I'm a-scared that it'll end up ceramics and in the 50 lb range (I ain't gettin' any younger, y'know!) :)
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The old ceramic 210's are significantly more than 50 pounds. They were boat anchors. I had one of the old pre UL t's. As long as it said 'UL' you should be fine (don't sweat the 't'). The UL's and early ULII's were VERY lightweight. The later ULII's and III's were 'relativley lightweight'.
  7. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm allergic to lentils, lima beans and Hip-Hop.
    I found my 2003 flyer... The 210UL (series 1) is 39 lbs actually.
  8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Per your post above, the UL's and early ULII's are very lightweight. The later ULII's and ULIII's, not so much. They all sound quite different also (all three series use different drivers).