1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone EA-260 vs Epiphone Rivoli

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dash1951, Feb 10, 2013.

1. dash1951

dash1951

I have been looking for an older Rivoli bass that I like and can afford for a long time. Every time I find one I'm too late. I have a chance to get a 1972 EA-260 tomorrow and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the two. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help and info.
  2. aquateen

aquateen

Epiphones were cheap during the 70s and weren't highly thought of. I'd hold out for a Rivoli or look at other semi hollowbody basses.
  3. dash1951

dash1951

You don't think the EA-260 has the same sound? I'm looking for that retro sound and body design.
  4. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Major difference would be bolt on (ea-260) vs set neck (Rivioli).
    other than that the pickups are different, the rivioli had a baritone switch for upped bass (not sure of that fact) um....other than that, not much else. but i would hold out for a rivioli. but hey, it's your money and your choice. Good luck man
  5. dash1951

dash1951

So basically you're saying the sound is completely different. Are they both short scale?
  6. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

yes they are. The ea-260 was the series after epiphone discontinued the rivoli bass. They both have a scale length of 30.5"
  7. dash1951

dash1951

Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like it's worth checking out. Original owner, only $200 and they say it's in great shape. Any more things to look for let me know please. Again thanks.
  8. change-jug

change-jug

I have a Lyle 5150 which is the same thing as a Epi-260(made from the same asian factory). It`s a fun little bass. I`m about to get a Rivoli via UPS shipped to my home tomorrow.

I can get back to you with a comparison.
  9. dash1951

dash1951

I would appreciate that. I bought the EA-260. Input jack is loose and 1 small ding in the side, other than that it could be in a showroom. It was in a closet since 1975. Even the chipboard case is like new. I couldn't pass it up for $200. The setup will be interesting.
  10. Jungy

Jungy

So how are you finding it?