1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone EA-260

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Killer Kadoogan, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

Hi,

Could anyone familiar with this bass please tell me what length strings to purchase? Although it is a short-scale bass I know short scale strings are too short. Should I go for medium or long scale strings? I am looking at D'Addario strings in particular.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Check out post #4 on the "Scale length? Proper strings" thread on this forum. I learned something new, myself.

3. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

Thanks for that. Since writing that I have settled on a medium scale set. Basically the same strings as the short scale ones I already know don't fit, but longer! According to D'Addario's fitting guide they should be just about the right length. I understand other brands tend to vary.

4. Knobby

Knobby

Hey there, just picked up one. Thinking D'Addario's as well. What strings did you choose (and is medium truly the right size?), and are you happy with them?

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

These are the ones I went with:

Flatwound chromes - Medium Scale

The medium scale length were just right.

I'm not the most experienced with different strings. These are the first flats I have tried. I like the feel of them, and they sound suitably deep and thumpy on this 70's bass. I wouldn't mind trying a set of halfwounds for comparison at some point, although I'm more likely to stick them on my Jack Casady which still has the stock strings. I'm happy with them, although obviously string choice is very much down to personal taste too. Medium scale is definitely the length to aim for though.

7. Knobby

Knobby

8. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

Mine was missing the mute that would have been attached to the bridge initially. A common issue with these as many people removed them, then lost them! I'd like to get one, but it seems pretty much impossible to find one. I hope you manage to find a whole bridge without too much problem.

I was told on here that a neck shim is pretty normal for these in order to get a decent action. Mine certainly has one.

My dream bass remains a Gibson EB2-D, but the EA-260, whilst obviously not the same bass, manages to fulfil that desire for a vintage bass. Highly doubt I'll ever be able to afford an EB2-D!

Thanks for the video clip. These aren't exactly noted as a classic model bass so it's nice to see people still actually using them. The only other example I know of is the Icelandic band, Sigur Rós, whose singer uses one for their song 'Hoppipolla' (which uses two basses).

Sigur Rós - Hoppipolla

9. Knobby

Knobby

I have been thinking the Gretsch "Space Control" in chrome would be a good bridge for me, but I can't find one. I did spring for a cheap Epiphone Beatles-style viola bass bridge - it might work...might...

Yep, those EB2D's are something I've always wanted.

The new Midtowns look amazing as well. The sunburst and the cherry...

Here's Jimbo Hart again:
    http://www.epiphone.com/news-features/news/2013/on-the-road-with-jason-isbell.aspx

10. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

I have the older style Midtown in Cherry, which I prefer to the current shape. It's a nice bass, although I find that most of my time is spent with the EA-260 or Casady.

11. Knobby

Knobby

You have a Midtown already? Nice.

Well that's a great endorsement of the 260! I look forward to mine being up and running.

12. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

The Midtown was released back in 2012 I believe. Got mine last year. The current model has a different shape, with a smaller lower horn, like the Jack Casady bass.

I'm not in a band, and despite owning 3 basses (at least one wasn't a planned purchase!) I am very much a beginner. I just play for my own amusement. I tended to keep the Midtown back a bit as it is by far the most expensive one of the three, so thought I'd protect it. Stupid really, it should be played more. I never planned on owning three basses though....

Somewhat typically last time I did pull the Midtown out of the case to play it, I accidentally bashed it and put a crack in the binding and the finish nearby that crack. So much for protecting it! I suppose I should look upon it as now having added character :)