1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone EB-0 SS Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wisconsindead, Jan 3, 2014.

1. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

Any thoughts on this Epiphone EB-0 SS Bass? It seems like it might be a good starting point for a new bass. Likely put a darkstar pickup or two on it. Which would put me at half of the price of a new Guild Starfire Bass. Just looking to get a solid short scale bass that I can mod to my desires without breaking the bank. The bridge looks like a hassle to work with but again, at $200 for the bass, a new bridge would be not a big deal.

2. jacksplat

jacksplat

While opinions, as always, vary widely on this forum, I must say that I am quite pleased with my modded EB-0. I replaced the stock pick-up with a dimarzio model 1 and am keeping my eyes open for a hipshot bridge to replace the crap thing that is there now. it is a swell beater bass that has also proven gig worthy for those situations where I don't want to take my musicmans. I would suggest checking the TB classifieds regularly as there are some good deals to be had there if you are interested, as I was, in keeping costs down. As well, from a pure fun perspective, the short scale is a blast to play.

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I recently bought one, and returned it shortly thereafter cuz I found one in the color I wanted and with the hipshot supertone in the classifieds.

I loved it as it is stock, but the new one that's trapped in a ups hub right now cuz of the snow should potentially be more awesome with the better bridge. I may or may not swap the pickup for the dimarzio depending on how it sounds as is.

4. wisconsindead

wisconsindead

thanks for the rapid replies and advice.

Is this an easy bridge replacement? I'd prefer to not have to drill holes into it.

Why would they put such a non user friendly bridge on there?

323, what color did you like? I think the black looks pretty nice (says the guy wearing all black)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I have a Korean made EB-0 and I like it. It doesn't sound muddy and it plays nice.

I've read that some of the Chinese EB-0's can be poor quality.

8. Gorn Captain

What about the Indonesian? The new one I'm getting is apparently Indonesian.

9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I don't recall hearing anything about Indonesian EB-0's, but one would suspect that they may have been made in the same plant as the Squier VM's and CV's. That would be a good thing.

But keep in mind that I'm no expert, just relaying what I found from my own research.

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

CVs are Chinese-made.

With the giant pickup cover on the EB-0 a guy could hide a lot of interesting pickup types under there.

11. klejst

klejst

About four months ago I packed it in playing bass (for a couple reasons) and went back to playing guitar. I am throwing around the idea of getting back into playing bass.

I have found a used but good condition Ebony version of this bass for $100. It is being sold out of state for I cannot check it out in person and my local music stores do not currently have one in stock I can get a feel for it on. I have owned and played Precision basses before however a change is alright and for budget reasons I cannot get too crazy. I have never played a SS bass before either but I hear some prefer them because of their smaller neck, size and sometimes weight and you can actually play faster on them. I am 6' 4" so it may look a little funny on me but I cannot imagine it being much bigger then standard guitar size?

I have seen mixed reviews on the EB-0 compared to the EB-3 but it's person preference and for $100 I figured it cannot be that bad and should be to satisfy my gist.

12. unclebass

unclebass

Well worth the $100. If you don't like it, you should easily be able to get all your money back, if not a few dollars more. If you like it, but want to go long scale, you could go for the Pelham Blue EB-3, it has a 1.5" nut as well. Just got an EB-3 cherry finish, haven't played my others since.

13. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the input.