1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone EB-0 vs. Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special HB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dradder, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Cuenca, Ecuador
    I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive single humbucker bass, so interested in anyone's opinions, experiences, comments, etc., on the Epiphone EB-0 versus the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special HB. Thanks!

2. I prefer the Epi because it's a short scale; put tge Squier is much more versatile, especially with the eq.

3. Geni758

Geni758

Nov 15, 2013
    South Jersey
    Go with the Squier. I had the Epi you are considering and it was awful. Currently have Squier VM Jaguar SS and it is miles better. I've also considered that model with the single HB. I think it would be good.

4. Dradder

Dradder

Feb 7, 2013
    Cuenca, Ecuador
    And a specific question...

Withe the Squier HB's active tone circuit, or whatever it's called, and there being a battery and all in the bass, would it be better running the Squier through an active or a passive DI box? Thanks!

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    The pickup in the Squier Jag HB is very high output, I have nothing else to add.

6. I went into GC to buy a speakon cable and to specifically check out the Epi EB-0 because I was thinking of buying one. The GC I went into didn't have one but I saw the Squire Jag HB for $129 brand new, played it for two minutes and within a few seconds I knew I was getting it. I played it that night at a gig, no setup needed, and it was great! It's my second bass, the 1st that I have played for the last three years is a short scale Danelectro Longhorn. The bass is light and the pickup is powerful and punchy. If you are looking for super low end, not the best choice. I like plinky-plunky percussive muted picked bass and this Squire Jag HB is a real bargain and a treat to play if you are into that kind of funky punky punchy kind of sound. I am a heavy handed flatpicker on the bass so take that into consideration. I think it looks great as well. I got the Candy Apple Red one. I would recommend the Squire Jag HB for sure. I have never played the Epi EB-0 but I have read that the humbucker is very muddy sounding.