1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone EB-3 Poject

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedrodelawasp, Dec 22, 2012.

1. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

This is a Christmas present that has arrived early. The previous owner has tried to give the bass a 'relic' look... not very successfully!

Happily, this has meant that I now have the bass and an epi hardcase to work on and play with!

My plan is to remove what's left of the finish from the body, get it nice and smooth and then seal it. I had thought about leaving the red around the sides... what d'ya think? I expect I'll grow tired of the bridge and will seek out a replacement for that at some point too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Looks like a fun project!
    Only thing is, it's technically not an Epiphone EB-3, that's an EB-0 with an added aftermarket bridge pickup. Wouldn't make a difference to me if it sounds and works as it should, but some people are sticklers about that.
    For a replacement bridge I'd suggest a hipshot supertone.
    Enjoy!

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

4. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

You're right! The seller didn't actually specify model, so I've not been tricked

Should've twigged at the size, really. It does sound great, just needs some TLC

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

7. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes ... I pulled the screw plugs ... I also installed a 34" scale neck with 21 frets.

And yes that bass you have is an EB0 not an EB3. The bridge pickup was added by a previous owner.

I have built 2 frankensteined Epi SG basses and I have a third that I will do soon. I must say it is a fun project and the results are rewarding. The end result is good looking and fun to play and sounds good.

9. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

I've sanded the front and back and have applied a stain to the back. It's not by any means "perfect" but I would have had to remove around 3mm across the whole of each surface to smooth out the gouges caused by the previous 'relic' job.

BTW: can anybody tell me how to correct the original thread title to say "EB-O Project" instead of EB-3"?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FrednBass

FrednBass

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I think it's to your advantage that it's an EB-0 rather than an EB-3. The long scale (34") EB-models have terrible balance, and the 30" models are much more pleasant to play. I think you will enjoy the EB-0 model with the dual pickups.

12. Batmensch

Batmensch

My Gibson EB3-L didn't have a balance issue.
    But I do agree the short scale EB's are a blast to play.

13. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

[​IMG]

The flash makes it look a lot lighter than it actually is... better pic tomorrow

14. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

The mounting for the bridge at the treble side is being pulled out of the body when I bring the strings up to pitch. I have tried adding some extra wood (matchsticks) and strong glue and leaving to dry before testing again - but the problem persists! I have fitted a very lo-fi temporary fix of a screw and washer that prevent the piece from rising from the body (a bit ugly, though).

I am considering following the example of Ric5 and installing an MM style bridge that will cover the mounting holes, but... the after market pickup is right up against the bridge on here. Will I be able to install it up against the pickup ring and still intonate correctly?

I can't really spring for the supertone bridge, and this was always intended as a budget project. All suggestions welcome!

15. pedrodelawasp

pedrodelawasp

Went with the MM style bridge. To get the necessary string height, rather than shaving the neck down to sit lower in the pocket then lowering the pups, I left the mounting points for the 3-point bridge as spacers that the new bridge sits on, then the saddles are set nearly as high as they'll go. May not sound like a particularly elegant solution, but it works very well. Have a gander:
    [​IMG]

16. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Looks really stunning. Nicely done.