Epiphone EB-O maple or plywood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gip111, Dec 13, 2012.

1. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

Couldn't resist as I was looking through the bass section in GC a few days ago noticed an EB-O, tested it, it has a certain sound, call it mellow, even a bit muddy but different so I took it home taking advantage of the 30 day return policy. I have to say I have an attraction to it, looks real nice and feels good when played in a sitting position but just recently I was reading some of these are made out of plywood?
    This model is the red, made in Indonesia and it was a stand alone, not part of a package.
    Looking inside the rear cavity the milled sides look smooth and I see no layers as one would see when cutting plywood but not sure this would be an indication.
    Any other way to tell what the body is made of and should I be concerned about this at all?
    Love to hear some input.

Gil
  2. Inconnu

Inconnu

Epiphone's website says it's mahogany, body and neck. If it was made of plywood, it would show through the cherry finish which is transparent... on the sides of the body. I read that some versions of that bass, the ones you find in starter packs, are made of plywood... not sure. I tried one in a store last month or so and I'm sure it was made out of mahogany.
  3. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

I worked on one recently that was indeed plywood and it was very obvious with the neck off. I'm not sure how old it was, but it was at least a couple of years old. FWIW,

--jack
  4. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Yes it is mahogony and not ply, the neck is bolt on and not set. I picked one up used with new chromes and a case in like new condition for $150 and it is a fun peice. It can be muddy if the volume is dimed but back it off a touch and it puts out a respectable reggae thump, well worth the price.
  5. Immigrant

Immigrant

I believe that there are two Epiphone EB-0s that look nearly identical. One comes in a package with an amp and other useless swag, the other is standalone.

Package model= ew. Plywood
    Standalone= Better, but still muddy IMO.

I got mine on Evilbay and the previous owner had a mini-bucker installed, similar to an EB-3. That helped somewhat. The Gibson models now sport a T-Bird pup under the massive cover, a noticeable improvement.
  6. grvthang

grvthang

It could be made of mahogany and also made of plywood - using mahogany plywood. That's how guitar makers can say a hollow guitar has a spruce top - using plywood made of spruce.

But if this bass was plywood, it wouldnt have a transparent finish, exposing the plys on the sides. And I would think that the plys would definitely be visible in the cavity. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Epiphone EB0s are mostly made from Mahogony, the cheaper ones are plywood. The plywood ones are brighter and have a suprisingly good tone.

To see what kind of wood it is remove the back cover from the electronics compartment.
  8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have had both.
    The plywood ones come in the starter packs
    The easiest way to tell them apart without taking them apart is the neck. The plywood ones have a much thinner nut and the profile is very thin too like a Jazz bass. The mahogany bass has a neck much more like the Gibson SG much chunkier neck and wider nut like a P bass.

I modded both of them with different pick ups and added bridge pick ups to them
    Funny thing is, the plywood one always sounded better.
  9. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

I forgot to mention, this one comes in at 7.2 pounds, 1 1/2 at the nut and 2 1/4 at the other end of the neck, if that would be any indication of either plywood or solid mahogany.
    It still has the original strings.
  10. 2milehighspike

Thats interesting, for what they sell them for ya can't expect much, but they are fun to play with the short neck, don't think I would pony up big coin for a Gibby though
  11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

I had a plywood one, with a transparent finish, and the only way you'd ever know it was ply was by taking off the neck. The ply layers did not show on the sides or in the control cavity... not sure how or why this would be the case, but it was definitely ply.
    FWIW, after a good setup, it was a nice little bass. Sounded pretty decent and played pretty well. I had an extra Hagstrom Bisonic pickup kicking around at one point, that I dropped in for fun with fantastic results -- regardless of the plywood.
  12. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I have a Gibson.
    I got them as back up kick around beater basses.
    Even my best Epi, after I leveled and dressed the frett's, bone nut, Hipshot bridge, DiMarzo Model One neck pick up and a TV Jones pick up at the bridge doesn't come close to my Gibson. The fit finish and playability, tone or weight of the Gibson kills the Epi.
  13. 2milehighspike

I am sure it does but for the $800 or so they want for it look at what else you can get, that was'nt my point, any Gibson will be miles ahead of any Epi, but for ME I would'nt want to invest in a EB-0 , that's all I meant:D
  14. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

So I took the neck off and this what I see... body looks like a solid chunk of wood. The neck, wish I knew what the "lingo" means.

Attached Files:

15. DethByDoom

DethByDoom Supporting Member

Guess its the solid mahogany… I got a ebo traded for an eb3.
  16. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I have an '03 ? epi and it is is mahogany,i routed it for a 2nd p.u. def. not plywood
  17. gip111

gip111 Supporting Member

How do you like it with the second pickup?