Epiphone EB3 Pickup Upgrade - Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by innisbass, Dec 7, 2013.

1. innisbass

innisbass

Hello everyone,

I am upgrading an Epiphone EB3. Pup wise I'm putting in the Dimarzio Model One at the neck position along with a coil tap (via a push/pull DPDT pot) and I am taking one of those TV Jones designed mini-humbuckers out of an old Gretsch Electromatic bass and dropping it at the bridge position (though the "tv jones designed" mini-hb is a tad bigger than the stock epi bridge mini-hb I think it will drop in fine with some minor chiseling and a new pickup ring).

On a side note: the stock epi bridge pickup is USELESS. Probably the single worst sounding bass pickup I have ever encountered. The Gretsch mini-hb is just ok... but it's at least a gazillion times better than the stock epi.

I am also putting in a Hipshot 3 point bridge.

This will be my first time doing anything like this. I have changed out a pickup before but it was a direct drop in. In that situation I pretty much just made note of what wire went to what on the old pickup then dropped in the new one and made sure I wired it exactly the same.

Now my question has to do with the wiring diagrams on the Dimarzio website. http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-6-2

Considering that the Epi has:

1- two volume pots (neck and bridge)
    2- two tone pots (neck and bridge)
    3- a chicken head selector

...and considering that the end result I am looking for is:

1- two volume pots (neck and bridge) with the neck volume acting as the push/pull coil tap
    2- two tone pots (neck and bridge)
    3- a chicken head selector

then which one out of all the wiring diagrams on that Dimarzio page should I be following?

It doesn't make sense to me that the only 3 options that offer two tone pots are:

2 Humbucker Bass Set, Master Volume, Pan Pot Volume, 2 Tones

2 Humbucker Bass Set, 2 Volumes, Pan Pot Volume, 2 Tones

Ultra Jazz Bass Set, 2 Volumes, 2 Tones

Can anyone help with a link to a wiring diagram for what I want to do or can anyone point me to the correct wiring diagram on that Dimarzio page?

Thanks so very much in advance.

:help:
  2. innisbass

innisbass