1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone EB3 Pickup Upgrade - Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by innisbass, Dec 7, 2013.

1. innisbass

innisbass

Hello everyone,

I am upgrading an Epiphone EB3. Pup wise I'm putting in the Dimarzio Model One at the neck position along with a coil tap (via a push/pull DPDT pot) and I am taking one of those TV Jones designed mini-humbuckers out of an old Gretsch Electromatic bass and dropping it at the bridge position (though the "tv jones designed" mini-hb is a tad bigger than the stock epi bridge mini-hb I think it will drop in fine with some minor chiseling and a new pickup ring).

On a side note: the stock epi bridge pickup is USELESS. Probably the single worst sounding bass pickup I have ever encountered. The Gretsch mini-hb is just ok... but it's at least a gazillion times better than the stock epi.

I am also putting in a Hipshot 3 point bridge.

This will be my first time doing anything like this. I have changed out a pickup before but it was a direct drop in. In that situation I pretty much just made note of what wire went to what on the old pickup then dropped in the new one and made sure I wired it exactly the same.

Now my question has to do with the wiring diagrams on the Dimarzio website. http://www.dimarzio.com/support/wiring-diagrams#1-6-2

Considering that the Epi has:

1- two volume pots (neck and bridge)
    2- two tone pots (neck and bridge)
    3- a chicken head selector

...and considering that the end result I am looking for is:

1- two volume pots (neck and bridge) with the neck volume acting as the push/pull coil tap
    2- two tone pots (neck and bridge)
    3- a chicken head selector

then which one out of all the wiring diagrams on that Dimarzio page should I be following?

It doesn't make sense to me that the only 3 options that offer two tone pots are:

2 Humbucker Bass Set, Master Volume, Pan Pot Volume, 2 Tones

2 Humbucker Bass Set, 2 Volumes, Pan Pot Volume, 2 Tones

Ultra Jazz Bass Set, 2 Volumes, 2 Tones

Can anyone help with a link to a wiring diagram for what I want to do or can anyone point me to the correct wiring diagram on that Dimarzio page?

Thanks so very much in advance.

:help:
  2. innisbass

innisbass