1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone: Epiphone or Epiphone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrbell321, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    How do YOU pronounce "Epiphone"? I searched the web on this and people get stupid angry about it. I tried searching talkbass and came up w/ 1 relevant thread and no one answered that particular question.
    So... founders nickname was "Epi" he was Greek so he said "-phone" meaning sound. So, given that almost every angry person on the web says its "Epi-fon". However, the ancient Greek word was pronounced with a long e at the end. So, "Epi-fon-ee". However, he was NOT ancient Greek, he was Greek-American, so perhaps "fon"?
    It is also said it was a play on "Epiphany", but that could have been a retcon.

I personally prefer "Epi-fon-ee", because "Epi-fon" sounds like you forgot what you were saying in the middle of the word.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Telephone
    Megaphone
    Sousaphone
    Epiphone

The "-phone" is pronounced the same in each.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    So, you don't think they were going for a pun?

5. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Mmm Epiphone Jack Casady. Epiphone Emperor Regent. Mmm.

6. bowthing

bowthing

Feb 16, 2007
    Utah
    I like to sharpen things, so I'm going with "Epip-hone".

7. It's not a real Gibson, so phon ee (FON)

8. Whenever I hear someone say epi-phone-ee I cringe.
    EPI-FONE ftw.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

10. I personally prefer "Epi-fon-ee", because "Epi-fon" sounds like you forgot what you were saying in the middle of the word....

I knew a guy that did that once upon a time. All of a sudden he had a brainstorm, though, and just outtta the blue changed it up. Go figure....

11. letsrumble

letsrumble

May 23, 2010
  12. Epipwn3d... By noobz.