1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone ET-280 PU Noise and Recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MyBassIsRED, May 30, 2011.

1. MyBassIsRED

MyBassIsRED

New guy here. I just bought a "new" bass after a few years of absence from music altogether, and am really excited to relearn this instrument.

I bought this gorgeous old Epiphone ET-280 after playing everything locally available in my price range. It fits my hand like a glove and sounds good, but it hums like crazy unless I stand exactly facing a certain direction (computers off, no fluorescent lights, etc). The guys at the store who set it up said it was inherent to the old single-coils pups, so I'd like to know if, first, anyone who owns this bass can confirm that it is normal, and second, what pickups are compatible and recommended for this bass to kill the noise and give a good and flexible sound. Also, does replacing the pups mean that I have to ditch the cool-looking old metal covers already installed? I know it's superficial, but I love the look. Picture attached for reference.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. MyBassIsRED

MyBassIsRED

Funny thing - I sold this bass a while back, and just stumbled upon another one too cheap to pass up. I took it in to have the neck adjusted, and am now also thinking about pickup options.

The tech at my local shop doesn't have any pickups that would be a good physical fit, but maybe someone here has had success? Suggestions?