Epiphone Jack Casady - Alpine White?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToonD, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ToonD

ToonD

2. Grissle

Grissle

Awesome, someday I will have a Cassady!

3. aquateen

aquateen

looks great in white!

4. G

G

Oh man - I need one!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Nice! I think they made a mistake in discontinuing the Vintage Sunburst Casady. I had a '98 in VS and it looked real nice. I also like the black ones, but never cared for the Gold Tops. (Yeah, I know - blasphemy, right?!) ;)

For my money, nothing is worse than the Silverbursts. They just look like something is missing (which of course there is - color!). But I do like the white. Way to go Epiphone!

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

Worst color ever. Worse looking now that it was in the 80's.

8. jason_cfh

jason_cfh

+1 I would jump on a sb model in a heartbeat if I could ever find one. rarely do they pop up for sale and I usually don't have the $$$ when they do lol

9. takeout

takeout

Subbed. If the white one becomes available Stateside, my black one will be in the Classifieds.

10. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

My first JC was black (didn't like gold), then I came around to gold and got one. I'm satisfied that I have the best-playing JC I've ever picked up, so I'm set. But the white with black very classy looking.

11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I like all the Casady finishes that have been offered.

The white looks okay, at least they didn't festoon the thing with gold parts, unlike the overkill bling on some Gretsch models. (trigger gag reflex)

12. Killer Kadoogan

Killer Kadoogan

I like the silverburst version, which is convenient since I own one.

Don't like this white one though. If I could pick a colour to own from the ones that have ever been available, it would be the sunburst.

13. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Media:
    I have a white guitar fetish, so I am partial to this new one, although not crazy about "Alpine White," which can look a little sterile. Agree with the above poster that gold hardware is heinous.

On the subject of Jack Casady: I was listening to "Crown of Creation" yesterday, and the album, while admittedly somewhat steeped in outdated, soppy hippy sentiment, nevertheless contains some of my favorite bass playing ever. Casady's lines are so emotive and evocative that they never fail to stir.

As for the signature model guitar itself: anyone use it as a stage guitar? I saw Stone Roses bassist Mani perform with Primal Scream, and when he switched from his signature Rick to a Casady for one song, he spent most then number struggling with feedback.
    The take-away for me is that bassists stand to lose more than they gain when they switch axes during a set so as to achieve a slight variation in tone that will probably not be much appreciated in any case...

14. takeout

takeout

We are in total agreement.

I do use it as a stage instrument, in a loud-ish rock context. I do have to be mindful of whole notes running away from me and position relative to my amp, but it works out fine. I even use the feedback as an effect on occasion. I do not switch between instruments during the above gig.

Jay Bentley of Bad Religion plays one in a hardcore punk context on festival stages, so I think it's just a matter of committing to it and setting your stage rig accordingly.

15. JonDark

JonDark

Would def like to play one of these. I've always wanted a JC.

+1 I do as well.

I can live with Alpine if it's not Crest bleached-out-teeth stark.
    Not my preference though.

16. GretschWretch

GretschWretch

A little outdated, soppy hippy sentiment might not be bad thing. How often did we read about mall or school shootings in the sixties?

17. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Well....I've lusted after one of those "heinous, gag-worthy & overblinged" Gretsch White Falcons since I first saw one. Realistically, I won't be financially able to get one of THOSE in my lifetime, but this Jack Casady may be another story!

In all previous "semi & hollowbody" threads I've read here on TB, the JC has almost always had more positive reviews than negative. Although Eastwood makes the "Classic 4" in white, I can't say the same thing for that model.

I have spent the last hour searching the interwebz for any other information about the Alpine White JC, and all I can find is media and stores in the UK. Are we to believe that the UK is the only place that will be receiving this "Limited Edition" Epiphone Alpine White JC, or this another episode like the early release in Europe of the Squier Bass VI, which happened at least a month before we saw dealers taking orders for them Stateside?

I'm not sure I understand this new approach in marketing. First Fender does it, and now Epiphone? Weird.

Anyway, I want one of these!

18. MattyH

MattyH

Oh man I'm in the market for one of these. I was dead set on the gold. But now...

It'll look awesome with my black and white suit I wear at the wedding gigs...

19. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

20. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I still like the gold finish best.

21. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jack's been playing a white one for at least a couple of years now. His looks pretty sharp, but it has some different trim from this new version. Personally, I prefer the one that Jack has to this new offering. But my ebony Jack Casady bass is still very cool for my own purposes.

LINKY