Epiphone Jack Casady bass or Hofner Verythin bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guinness20, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Guinness20

Guinness20

Hi all, I'm hoping to get a hb bass in the near future, for practicing at home but also because some of them look amazing.

I've ruled out the Ibanez artcore and the eastwood classic 4. Was having a look at the new Guid starfire bass reissue, but I don't think my budget stretches that far.

I haven't been able to find any reviews of the Verythin bass.

I know the JC is 34" and the Hofner is 30", I currently play a Thunnderbird - does anyone out there have experience of swapping from a 34" to a 30"?

2. DWLANG

DWLANG

I was faced w/ the same dilemma and was torn between the Höfner Verythin, Gretsch G5442, and Jack Casady.

The Gretsch I found to be a serious neckdiver and the pups too amemic.

The Casady, sounded very strong, but the fit and finish was very poor...overall it felt plastic and every floor model that I tried was falling apart to some degree...

I purchased the Verythin last week, put some Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwound 32 strings on it, upgraded the pots (German pups, but cheap and scratchy Chinese pots) and I love it! Not only is it drop-dead gorgeous, it's lightweight (my back says thank you), and the short scale is amazingly playable.

The only slight issue I'm having is a little muddy tone from the open E (and F, F#)...but I'm working on that!

Cheers~

3. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Since 1998 I've owned a Jack Casady and more recently I got a Hofner Ignition violin bass. The Hofner has the same scale as the Verithin, which is a beautiful bass. I treat them like two different instruments. I use round wound stainless steels on the Casady bass and Pyramid flats on the Hofner. Though the Casady is 34 inch and the Hofner is 30 inches, I don't have any problem going back and forth. They have quite a different feel between them. In my opinion, both are excellent. I have not had any quality issues with either one.

4. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks, you've both been really helpful! :)

Originally the verythin was only in contention because it was SO pretty - the inlays! Think I'd prefer a lighter bass, as a break from my Tbird. it would also be nice to have something a bit different from the more run-of-the-mill Epi JC.

DWLANG how did the verythin sound stock? And Pimpernel Smith, how do you find the fit and finish on your JC bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LordRyan

LordRyan

Be sure to check out Italia Basses. They have several hollow/semi-hollow models. The Rimini is a nice Rick-style long-scale and the Torino is a great Gibson inspired short-scale. The Maranello Z is somewhat comparable to a JC with a Piezo bridge pup. Best online price and selection can be had from 2Kool4Skool in San Diego, CA.

7. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

The finish on my Jack Casady bass was quite fine. I have a gold top version. The intonation and playability is excellent. The transformer know gives you a choice of three settings, besides the volume and tone knobs. It's a great bass.

8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Thanks for the advice, but I think Italia's are just a bit too funky for me.

Is the Jack Casady ok with just the one pickup?

By the way does anybody know anything about the new-ish Guild Starfire bass reissue?

9. jeffbonny

jeffbonny Gold Supporting Member

I dunno, is a P Bass ok with just one pickup?

I'm not quite sure what similarities you see between the Casady and the Verythin other than the obvious hollow body part. In terms of pickup type and pickup placement they're completely different beasts and aren't going to sound very similar at all. It's kind of like comparing a Ric 4001 to a P Bass just because they're both solid bodies.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

The Verythin is a great bass, has a better balance than the Jack Cassidy.
    Interesting you ruled out the Artcore, I use AGB200s and they deliver a great sound with ease of playing...plus they look great.

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Guild did a limited run American custom shop Starfire bass reissue, going for over $3000. See ebay for those.
    Then they also announced that they would be coming out with a Korean Starfire bass reissue (which I'm assuming is the one you're referring to). They look pretty interesting, with what looks like a bisonic-inspired pickup... though who knows how similar they'll sound plugged in. These are supposed to go for just over $1000 if I remember correctly. Won't be in stores for a few months yet.
    I think the MIK looks very interesting. It's almost like a recreation of the 1966 Starfire I used to own, which was hands down the best stock instrument I've ever played.
    On a side note, I wouldn't rule out the Artcores. I've owned two ASB-140's and they were both great. The new short-scale ASB-180 looks awesome in my opinion. I was feeling very tempted when I first saw the pictures.

12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Another vote for Artcore. Big tone, not plagued by dead spots, easy to play well on. But my Gretsch looks cooler...

13. waynearcuri

waynearcuri

Good Day All...Why compromise?...I have a vintage Guild Starfire II bass built in 1976 in black for sale for $1825 plus shipping that will only be worth more and give you the sound and performance you crave. Payment by cleared personal or bank check only. I will email photos to interested parties...Thanks Wayne

14. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

I've had 2 JC's, great basses but I have hots on for a Hofner Verythin now. Love the look.

15. FrednBass

FrednBass

Apart from having two JC's, the same here.

16. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I switch between 30", 32" and 34" basses all the time. I notice the difference, mostly with the 4th finger stretch on the first five frets, but it's never an issue.

I've had a Casday gold top for around 3 years - fit and finish are excellent, the pickup is strong, and the bass sounds great. A wide strap with suede underside deals with neck dive. The Casady is not a hollowbody, it's a chambered body, so it's classed as semi-hollow.

[​IMG]

I also have a Gretsch 5123 which is about two years old - it's the first issue in orange, but the new issues are burgundy. It's a completely hollow body 32" scale but is slightly longer overall than the JC bass. There is a thread devoted entirely to the 5123 here on TB. The Gretsch has a classic HB sound with TV Jones Thundertron pickups. The body of this bass is about one inch deeper front to back than most hollows - including the JC bass.

[​IMG]

Both are excellent basses, both sound different form each other.

17. DWLANG

DWLANG

The Verythin IS quite the looker. The flamed maple body is stunning, the sunburst fabulous, inlays quite pretty, and I find the headstock lovely.
    I think that the Verythin sounded great...realizing that it is of course a shortscale hollowbody...felt great, easy to play, and sounding very, well....Höfner...if you know what I mean!

Other than the original Chinese pots being somewhat scratchy and prefering the TI jazz flats...I didnt change a thing.

18. DWLANG

DWLANG

VERY good point...the Casady and Verythin are different beasts indeed. It comes down to tastes, just like everything else. Different horses for different courses...

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    Same here. I've owned 2 JC's and find the Verithin strangely provocative. ;)

20. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Sounds like a nice bass. I used to own a '66 starfire and there's certainly nothing like the real deal. To post a for sale ad on talkbass you're technically supposed to have a supporting membership though. Just FYI, $20/year and it's totally worth it. If you posted that bass in the classifieds here you would up your chances of selling it exponentially.

21. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Casady is not "chambered," unless you're using the word in a different way than most people. "Chambered" usually refers to a solid body from which chambers have been routed out. (In most cases the chambers are covered by a solid top, so the guitar/bass looks from the outside like a solid-body.) "Semi-hollow" usually refers to a hollow-body -- built from separate top, back, and side pieces -- but with the addition of a solid block to which the top and back are attached. So by these definitions, the Casady is a semi-hollowbody, not chambered. Although.....

An interesting and unique feature of the Casady is that, unlike most semi-hollowbodies, the top is not attached to the solid block; it is allowed to vibrate freely. This actually makes it kind of a hybrid of hollow and semi-hollow.