epiphone jack cassady bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sven kalmar, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

what do you guys think of these? i have one and i like it, even though ive playd my rwP most lately..
    i have some pyramids on it now and it sounds quite like an upright. Sometimes i consider making it fretless.
    But with roundwounds its got a quite nice tone too and its quite variable thanks to the impedance knob..it would be interesting to hear about your exoperiences with this bass.:bassist:
  2. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

Do a search on these. Lots of threads.
  3. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

yes i suppose it is..
  4. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Not sure I like the fretless idea, but it's a great bass. Pickup is a little weak IMO - I know some guys who actually mod 'em and put a regular P pickup in them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

I've have a different experience with mine... pickup is strong and clear with tone for days. I'm amazed anyone would mod the stock pup as it is arguably one of the most desirable aspects of this particular instrument.
  7. wizerd

wizerd

I had one in Gold Top finish strung up with flats. Loved it. Got it for a song then sold it a year later like an idiot. Wish I had it back now. The varitone circuit had a couple of positions that gave it a great upright tone. My only gripe was the vicious neck dive, and the strap button on the upper bout was in a weird place .. should be on the horn IMO. Plenty loud for practice when unplugged too.
    This should be a keeper in your collection.
  8. dalkowski

dalkowski

Want. That's what I think of them.
  9. Jawbone

Jawbone

Had one for about two months and it served a purpose. From the day I bought it I couldn't ever get the variac switch to not twist even after tighting it down. I was always scared I'd crack the body with the jack on top. Not sure why Epi wouldn't change it to the side. Wouldn't ever be my choice as a daily player.
  10. sven kalmar

sven kalmar

thanks guys. i agree on that with the pickup. thats the last thing id change on this bass.
    i find it just as loud as any other bass. I have this set of pyramid golds that ive tried on various basses. On the pbasses the E is weak. this is not a problem with rounds. On the epi its perfect.
  11. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

I bought mine used a couple months ago, and all the knobs were loose. I tightened them up with a bit of blue loktite and that has helped so far. I think the pickup is great as is, and I can't think of another bass that the sound changes so much with different strings. I had the set it came with, then tried some clear tones, then a set of flats I had on a rick for awhile, then I just put a set of Elixers on it. Every set had a very unique different voice, but they all sounded great. I also bought a mod bar and put it on.(check it out on ebay). Then I got a wide leather strap and now its good to go.The volume pot when turned down stays on a bit so I will probably change that out at some point. This is my number one bass. My other bass is a Dano longhorn which I like almost as much!