1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone Les Paul Bass Pickups and Pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The_Phoenician, Nov 3, 2013.

1. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

I just bought a pair of Les Paul bass pickups with a wiring harness from riceage guitars on ebay, and I'm a bit confused, as each pickup has only one wire. The harness, though, is already wired- here's a picture: http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...16,546970027,546970042&formats=0,0,0&format=0

I was thinking that I could just solder the one wire onto each volume pot based on its color (neck is red, bridge is black), but before I do, I want to make sure if that's all I have to do, or if there's something else.
  2. line6man

line6man

Just solder the pickups to the volume pots.
  3. The_Phoenician

The_Phoenician

All right, thanks.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Well, not quite. I completely defer to Saint L6M in all things electronic, but I know enough to tell you that a pickup requires two connections to work properly. You need a "hot" connection and a "ground" connection to complete the circuit.

I'm guessing that your "one wire" is really an insulated hot wire contained within a braided shield, yes? If so, then you'll want to solder the internal hot wire to the tab on the pot, and solder the braided shield to the back of the pot casing (or some other ground point).
  5. line6man

line6man

Yeah, you need a hot and a ground, and the ground is the shield around the hot, when you're dealing with single-conductor wire.