1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Epiphone Les Paul bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gnosticbass, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Anyone own one of these? How do they compare to a Squire Jazz or Precision sound,versitility, playability? Just curious. I was looking at one on Musicians Friend thinking of cheching them out if for no other reason because of price.

Mark

2. Twiggeh

Twiggeh

I haven't personally tried them, but I don't think I've -EVER- seen a good review for one. The general consensus seems to be to avoid epiphone basses, though if you're looking for opinions (of course it all in the end comes down to how -you- feel about what you're buying) I'd recommend a peavey over a squier.

3. rfclef

rfclef

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

Really? Maybe some models, but I see many that are pretty well spoken of... I am no pro, but I cannot speak highly enough of my Epiphone Viola.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

ask anyone who owns a JC or an Epi Elitist model. They make some better built basses than Gibson (not saying a lot) but do have lower quality hardware & electronics.

I have not heard much about EPi Pauls. I know they are different than the Gibson versions, via pickups, construction & woods- sounds

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

I own an Epi JC, and it's a fantastic instrument. In fact, I've -NEVER- seen a bad review for one. Then again, the internet is a big place, so I really shouldn't be talking in absolutes like that.

7. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

I have owned a real gibson les paul standard bass and a epiphone les paul standard bass.

The epi is really good,you cant beat the price,they are no longer made but not too hard to find.

They nail the feel of the gibson and are lighter, they have a great tone,.

although i would change the pups to rio grande pitbulls or the gibson tb plus's

I really couldnt see the point of spending the extra money for the gibson version,(unless you are a brand snob.) the gibsons sell way over what they are worth, and the fit and finish is just as good on the epi.

8. Barkless Dog

Or worse depending on the Gibson model.

9. ggunn

ggunn

A friend of mine brought over his Epi Casady sig bass the other night, and I am drooling. Serious GAS. It looked, played, and sounded great. Every mass market builder (and some limited run guys as well) makes both good and not-so-good instruments.

If you've never seen a good review of a Casady, you haven't been reading many reviews.

10. Triumph_Rock

Triumph_Rock

Hi. Epiphone do still make Les Paul basses. You just have to look on there website. The only one they make is pitch black colour though. It has a Mahogany body with a Mahogany set neck with rose wood fret board. Two Alnico humbucker pick ups.

I own one. The tone is good. It has a nice neck. The neck is fairly big. Good if you have big hands. From the factory it came set up fairly well. I haven't had mine set up by a pro yet. It is heavy though. Like any cheap bass the adjustment on the tone nobs isn't great when compare to an expensive bass.

I like mine. Very good value. Well worth the money.

Any questions just fire away.

Heres a photo of mine.

[​IMG]

11. CrimsonGhost

CrimsonGhost

les paul special is a completley different bass, they all used to be bolt ons....

the les paul standard is built off the 93' version of the gibson lp standard, with the flowerpot inlat on headstock, 3 point bridge, etc.

12. adam clinton

adam clinton Supporting Member

I have an Elitist Epi EB3 and love it...I have played regular Epis and soe of them do seem to be lacking kind of hit or miss.

The Elitists are MIJ and REALLY well done IMO

13. manjonning

manjonning

I actually sat down and played one at GC yesterday .. Not bad actually...I kind of dug it. Cool sounds ..

I owned a Squire VM Jazz that I thought kicked it's ass...and I think It was a bit cheaper.

All depends on what you already own or what kind of music you play.

J

14. Barkless Dog

Actually the JC is a copy of the rare Les Paul signature bass

[​IMG]

15. manjonning

manjonning

Thats dope .. Are you the first owner? Or did you buy it used?

16. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

My GAS list (though small right now, it needs to be updated I think) has a Les Paul bass listed. I really don't care who makes it as long as its a true black beauty copy in bass version. In other words, I don't want a les paul body shape bass, I want a les paul bass that is set up on the body (pick ups, knobs, pickguard etc etc) identical to a LP. I have seen them out there on evilbay (a perfect one is up right now actually, or just ended but Im busy with my Peavey Dyna $$ right now and had to pass). And I have no idea what the point is in my post, just getting my 2 cents worth in here.

Just how big and clumsy are their necks? I saw a comment about that. What about weight and balance?

17. Barkless Dog

The Epi's I am unsure of. As for the Chunky neck, it's not baseball Warwick size, but similar to the Sg Bass. I have small hands and once I got my LP set up it with low action it plays really fast, with little hand fatigue.

The flat top Lp's are the lightest at 8 lbs

The heaviest are the carved top non chambered body ones, some 15 pounds & up!

The later chambered body ones are around 10 pounds, mine weighed 9 on my bathroom scale.

Epi's I have no idea.

The LP signature pictured is not mine- good luck finding one under $3000. There was also a sunburst version. a great bass if you can find or afford the real one. many say the JC is just as good but vary slightly in sound.

18. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Jack Casady himself says he likes his sig better than the Les Paul it's based on.

"They blow the old Gibsons to smithereens, even in the construction. As you know, the early 70’s weren’t good for cars or guitars"
    http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=499

Granted, it could be propaganda, but he does play his sig on the road, so I don't think so.

19. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Weirdly enough (?) I have a tendency to like the action rather high on my basses though I have my limit. My T40's action was so high it was rather annoying, and I didn't know how to fix it at the time so I just got used to it. And though my T40 was one of the earlier heavier ones, I'm not sure I could deal with a 15lb+ bass.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

It depends on what Epi you are talking about. You can't make a generalized statement about them because there are different levels. Sure, the EB0 isn't a particularly good bass, but the JC, the Rumblekat, and the Elitist models (Thunderbird, EB3) are much better basses. I have an Allen Woody sig Rumblekat, and it is a very well built bass. Plays good, sounds good, looks good. Many people also like the regular (non elitist) Thunderbirds.

21. oldrookie

oldrookie

Got to play one of these last night. I liked the neck. Fret work was really nicely done and it felt similar to the my Brice "beatle-bass." A bit thicker and a bit wider, but that's not all bad.

Believe it was quilt-topped, but light was fairly limited. Good tone.