Epiphone Les Paul Special Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dvlmusic, Feb 4, 2013.

1. dvlmusic

dvlmusic Supporting Member

I searched through the threads but couldn't find all that much on these.

I have liked the idea of this bass ever since I saw Robert Sledge play one on the Ben Folds Five Complete Sessions at West 54th DVD. His tone was always really gorgeous and I liked the fact that he wasn't ashamed to rock an Epiphone.

I found one at GC a few weeks ago that sounded great (needed a good setup, though) and I had no idea that they are selling for $250!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

That is TOTALLY within my price range. Anyone have any stories about these? Is this really the smokin' deal that I think it is? I've always been a dyed in the wool Fender guy and had absolutely zero inclination to pick up an Epi of all things :eyebrow:, but I'll be damned if this little bass hasn't charmed the pants off me. If I do pick one up it'll most likely become my new coffee-table bass.

Thoughts?
  2. dvlmusic

3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Gibson and Epiphone don't get a lot of love here. I think for the most part due to the lousy workmanship they've had, especially lately. Personally I think the bass looks okay, but I would imagine it would neck-dive like crazy.
  4. aquateen

aquateen

they're good value for the price. I've played a bunch of them at Guitar Center and each has been well built & finished. I bought one from a friend and it has not disappointed. I think they sound better than the Epi Tbird IV (the bolt on neck model). they're not as nice as a Gibson LP, but they're a decent bass at an affordable price.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dvlmusic

Morning bump
  7. Mykk

Mykk

I love mine. The classic LP styling, good rock tone, plays well. My only complaint is that I'll rub my wrist raw on the edge of the body, cut the open end of an old sock off and wear it as a wrist band takes care of that problem.

Mine is currently under the knife. Different pups, electronics Passive vs Active, Series vs Parallel.

It's a good bass. I much prefer the older Epi LP special bass with the guitar style humbuckers.
  8. dvlmusic

Bump for any more opinions
  9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Disclosures:
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had one once - good tone, nice looking bass, but the balance was awful. The neck dives like crazy.

It's a good bass for the price, but I'd definitely recommend testing it while standing...