1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Epiphone Rivoli?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFlashSawyer, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Just out of interest, has anybody played or owned an 'Epiphone Rivoli' hollow body bass? I'm looking at budget copies of the 'Gibson EB-2' because I really want that nice hollow sound as an alternative from my current Fender Jazz bass.

Can anyone give me any advice on this; where to find 'em online; if they're worth looking into etc and most importantly; are there any better copies out there for the Gibson EB-2? I've also heard a lot of good reviews on the Jack Casady bass, can anyone tell me if this is worth the buy?
    Thanks!
  2. ATLbassist

ATLbassist

I love my Casady bass! It's strung with a set of TI flats. It has a nice, throaty P-bass like sound that still has its own special character. It has a surprising amount of high end definition for a hollowbody, and responds very differently to varying string types. Good build quality, too.

It's a pretty good value, too. I got mine used about 10 years ago for around $500, and it seems like the prices now are about the same.

The negatives: It's very neck-heavy. I actually stopped playing it for a few years because it cramped my hand to fret and support the weight at the same time. I was on the verge of selling it before I looked into some mods to fix the problem:

• Replaced the stock tuners with Hipshot Ultralites.
      Started using an extra-wide strap to have more surface area on my shoulder to prevent slippage.

Since then, no worries! I also got a "mod bar" from Evan (who lurks around here) to move the string windings off the bridge saddles. It really does increase the sustain.

Good luck!
  3. msb

msb

I have one of the Rivoli re-issues , the mud bucker was replaced with a Dimarzio humbucker . I've been told the original Epiphone mudbuckers were pretty muddy . I love the thing , it's breathy boomy , not very versatile , but I love the sound .

It's been quite a while since they've been in production .
  4. Mr.Hat

Mr.Hat

mmm.....ravioli ...
  5. TheFlashSawyer

TheFlashSawyer

Ahh thanks :) Yeah I've played a casady once before and the light body was a surprise to me, I guess all hollow bodies are the same in that sense, with the top heavy headstock and neck. But yeah, thanks for the input I'ma definitely look into 'em more, copies of this EB2 are so difficult to find though :/ I know the casady basses are a lot more popular with still getting produced and all.
  6. Instagator

Instagator

I have a 65 restored Rivoli.all orig. parts..the pickup is full of mud.I put some coated tape wounds on it and it is so close to an upright sound.it's pretty much a one trick pony though, IMHO...and it's short scale.I'm a long scale guy.I have a Jack Casady which I love..strung with TI flats..it will do anything..Go with the Jack!

Here's a thread about the restoration over at ReRanch..Cheers.
    The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum :: View topic - 1965 Epiphone Rivoli Bass Save...Dakota Red Killer....
  7. ATLbassist

ATLbassist

That's a spicy bassline!
  8. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

I'm really interested! How does it work? Got any pics?
  9. Steveaux

Steveaux

There are 32 other threads with "Rivoli" in the title.

Search. Read. Learn.
  10. Spanky(Andy)

Spanky(Andy)

I've owned both a Epi Rivoli and a Jack Casady signature bass... I loved both but had to sell them for financial reasons. The Rivoli was amazing, but was VERY heavy - my Rivoli had been modified with the Dimarzio model one pickup and it sounded fantastic.

You can't fail with either one of these.

Cheers

Andy
    PS: I liked the Rivoli so much I tried buying it back, but someone outbid me.
  11. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

The reissues have horrible weak pickups and a weird little transformer thing for the baritone switch. I have one of them that is currently pickup-less, and I've been meaning to acquire a Curtis Novak mudbucker for it and send the bass and pickup off to have it wired like a Harmony H-22, but life keeps on getting in the way...
  12. Basvarken

Basvarken

Disclosures:
    BaCH dealer / amateur luthier
    The Czech brand BaCH has been working on a series of semi acoustic bass guitars for quite a while.
    I own the only prototype that was ever built so far. It is a long scale EB-2 /Rivoli.

[​IMG]

BaCH and I have worked on a new two point bridge, but the hardware manufacturer went bankrupt. Now BaCH chose to use the traditional three point bridge (if it's good enough for the Rivoli reissue, why not use it for the BaCH semi-acoustic bass).

And there is going to be a short scale as well as a long scale version. Available in three colors: Antique Red, Natural and White.
    Hope they get them ready before Xmas!
  13. ATLbassist

ATLbassist

I don't have any pics on hand, but if you search around the forum there are a few out there. Here, for instance:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/f-s-epiphone-jack-casady-used-stamp-mod-bar-512893/

Basically, it's a solid metal tube with holes drilled through for the strings that is placed behind the string ball holders. It moves the end of the strings back about a half-inch - just enough to get the string windings off the bridge saddles.

I'm pretty sure they can still be purchased, but it's kind of hard to get a hold of the maker (Webteca).
  14. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

i started a thread about these burnside guitars guys today,

Burnside Guitar | Facebook

been thinking of getting an aria tab-66, or maybe the burnside if it's cool
  15. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Lefties?
  16. Meddle

Meddle

Those frets were goners before you replaced them! That is amazing!
  17. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've got a '68 Gibson EB-2, and a 90s reissue Epi Rivoli, but lately I've been digging this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. jweber76

jweber76

I've Got a mid-90s rivoli and I love it! Completely different sound and feel than my fenders...I will agree that the stock pup is a little weak and I never touch that little button/ switch but the finish (trans red) is beautiful and the neck is fantastic. I really like the casady bass too...if the bottom horn was shaped like the rivoli I would already own it.

ForumRunner_20111128_231210.png
  19. EnricoDiPierro

EnricoDiPierro

20. Avezzano

Avezzano

Enrico, where that brochure comes from, if it is legit to ask? Anybody aware of other fonts near Epiphone/Gibson we can check to know more about this reissue (when what how much)????