Epiphone Thunderbird Bridge...please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Killtron, May 13, 2007.

1. Killtron

Killtron

My entire bridge for my Epiphone Goth Thunderbird bass got funky, and broke apart. I'm now looking to buy the single bridge. Does anyone know how to go about getting an individual part?
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi, Killtron

If Your local Epi dealer can't help, try contacting Epi directly. I haven't seen a single Gibson style aftermarket bridge available.

If You, or anyone else for that matter, find one, please drop me a line :)
    Preferably in Europe.

You might want to "upgrade" to the Warwick bridge since IMO that could be better.

Regards
    Sam
  3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper

The original BadAssI will work very well. You will have to get it professionaly installed though.
  4. aquateen

aquateen

if it's the 3-point bridge, Allparts sells one. they also have replacement saddles and adjusting screws. lots of dealers carry them, too.
  5. T-Bird

T-Bird

Thanks, Aquateen.

Looks all right, and the price isn't bad.

BTW, Killtron, how did the bridge broke apart? Allthough bein' cast with somewhat variable results, it shouldn't be that bad.

Could You take a picture for us?

Regards
    Sam
  6. Chris Breese

Chris Breese

Don't try a Fender replacement bridge. The string spacing is off. I've got the five holes to prove it!!!
  7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127

Did it break apart or just fall off the posts?
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I was wondering the same thing. Have an Epiphone T-Bird and I love the look but hate the bridge on it. I'd like to replace it with a hipshot, but then there will be two holes on the sides of it where the old "Tripod" style bridge used to be secured and that will look like sh**. So I may just leave the bridge alone. Maybe I'll see what Allparts has. I replaced the bridges on two other basses (Fender Jazz and Washburn Taurus 5) and it really did improve the sound a bit.
  9. aquateen

aquateen

why do you hate it? they're not that hard to adjust once you know how.
  10. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

It looks cheap, which of course the Epiphone is. But the rest of the bass looks good. Hipshot just came out with a Gibson Bass replacement A-style bridge. It fits the Gibson Thunderbird. I'll check with them and see if it fits the Epiphone too. If so, I'll buy one and see what happens.
  11. lonote

lonote

The Gibson bridges spawned the original BadAss bridge. Now you know why.
  12. McHaven

McHaven

Now, I just want to ask this and make sure...Did the saddles and springs all fall off when you had strings off the bass? The strings hold the saddles in with that bridge design. If you turn the bridge upside down with no strings on, it will fall apart.
  13. ironwells

ironwells

i saw j.m.j. has a bad ass bridge on his thunderbird, i have a goth epi t-bird and was wondering if i could do the same and how i would go about doing it!
  14. MPU

MPU

T-bird; Sp-elektroniikka Oulussa näyttää uusimman kataloogin mukaan myyvan noita Gibson-tyylisiä talloja.
    Marko
  15. Duffy

Duffy

I was able to get a chrome bridge saddle and screw adjuster and may paint it black fo the Goth and I am having Gibson send me a new black one.

Put med lt Fender flatwounds on it today and can't wait to hear it.

Actually the Tbird bridge is a great thing.

It is a sort of "trivit" which is a three point triangle type adjustable platform. You can adjust it from side to middle and middle then to the other side. This could be very effective in correcting the problems associated with a slightly twisted neck, where a two post adjusting bridge would not be able to do this without probably causing some buzzing somewhere else along the board and, of course, raising one side quite far.

I like the Tbird bridge.

Just had Fender Noiseless Vintage pups put in my Affinity J bass and they are plenty hot and sound great. WAY less noise, and then only with the trebles turned way up and that noise is very little of a distraction, interference.

Duffy
  16. Shayne

Shayne

This is my first post here (I'm more of a reader than a talker), I just wanted to say this so maybe it will help someone searching the boards out in the future...

I was searching for a fix to the crappy 3 point bridge ( I was having adjustment problems and had an issue with one of the post sleeves pulling out from the tension) when I stumbled across this thread.

I did an internet search of all the available products that you guys mentioned and decided to go with the Hipshot Supertone bridge. There is nothing I could have done to this bass that would have been a better decision! It definitely made a difference for the better in the sound (To me, anyway.) and fixed the problem of the post pulling out. I am 100% pleased.

By the way, it's an Epihone Blackbird and it fit with no problem at all.
  17. guido2sc

guido2sc Guest

Big ole ditto to all that. My Epi EB-3 is sporting the Hipshot Super Tone and it not only made string adjustment heaven but it helps with the tone as well. I just got my grubs on a Gibson SG bass and would you not know the stupid post is lifting out of the body on the treble side. Pretty scary that my cheapo Epi is built better...
  18. Jeff_K

Jeff_K

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping you could let me know how the bridge you mention overcomes the post pulling out of the body problem. Are there new sleeves to use with the replacement bridge?

I like my Epi T-Bird but haven't been able to use it because of this problem. I'd love to fix it once and for all.
  19. DVinti

DVinti

I just glued the post in on my tbird with some gorilla glue, been fine for almost a year now.
  20. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

One gets what one pays for. I don't mean to be a smart ass, but these ARE cheap basses...